The Beatles - Love

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Blade
takin' a dinner break

The Beatles - Love

Post by Blade » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:36 pm

The new freaky Beatles CD is coming out called Love.

George Martin and his son Giles went in and altered and remixed songs.

They layered different parts from different songs and made a collage into them.

Go check it out. You can hear the entire CD here.

http://www.thebeatles.com/hearlove/index.php

I have mixed emotions about it.

Let's hear the opinions! I'll give my later!!!

-Blade-

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:38 pm

I disliked what I heard immensely.
beware bee wear

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:05 pm

I heard an NPR review of this album along with some excerpts and while I admit that the excerpts sounded nifty, were sonically limpid, and made interesting contrasts out of different parts, I must say that I really don't care to hear the entire album. Maybe once, straight through, and then I'd rather just go back to the original albums.

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:10 pm

A couple of interesting things, but no, not that exciting.

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:41 pm

I wonder if George Martin really enjoys going over the same records over and over again considering how many other talents he worked with, or if he just does it for the money and recognition. I love the Beatles, but i'm getting sick of the Beatles still having new albums come out. I will shoot someone if this Beatles Ipod thing actually happens.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cf ... wsID=16593

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:56 pm

Who owns the Beatles recordings now anyway? Maybe Sir Paul is waiting for his divorce to go through the courts before they open up the huge revenue stream that will ensue when the Beatles albums become available on itunes. Just a hunch.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:57 am

Tatertot wrote:Who owns the Beatles recordings now anyway? Maybe Sir Paul is waiting for his divorce to go through the courts before they open up the huge revenue stream that will ensue when the Beatles albums become available on itunes. Just a hunch.
No way! She never heard of the Beatles or knew that Sir Paul was in it. How can she get any of the dough? :wink:
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Deluxomatic
audio school

Post by Deluxomatic » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:29 am

I heard the thirty second excerpts and I am actually quite excited to hear the album.

Previous album to CD releases have tried to stay as close the originals as possible (for the re-release of the British original albums) and rightfully so.

Anthology, etc, were alt. takes.

I love the idea of these remixes for it allows tracks either way in the background, sounds never making it to tape, etc...to be brought to the forefront. On each of these clips I heard something brought to the fore of the mix that I had not heard before.

I am an astute Beatles listener and musician, so I pay close attention to these details. Frankly, it's amazing.

Additionally, I believe that this idea of toying with original albums in remix form is going to be part of the wave of the future. It's just too interesting to not be. It will even be an additional revenue stream for artists.

Quick random thoughts!

chris almighty
studio intern

Post by chris almighty » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:59 am

I compare this travesty to what George Lucas did to Star Wars. The one saving grace to this album is the version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

dogcow
pluggin' in mics

Post by dogcow » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:34 pm

I'm not super-motivated to hear this, but I bet in the context of the Cirque Du Soleil show at the Mirage in Vegas, it all sounds great. I've heard very good things about the show.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:27 am

I am a big fan of Panthalasa, the Bill Laswell remix/mix translation of Miles' In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, and On the Corner. I feel that Love is in the same ballpark, and that George Martin did a great job of keeping this very tasteful indeed. I had no interest inhearing it either but after a friend played it for me this weekend I am a bit obsessed with it, actually.

And I feel that it sounds terrific, especially on my vintage Pioneer system. So many parts buried deep within the originals that stick out a little bit more now. New things with each listen.

Consider this a brilliant Beatles mashup. Tomorrow Never Knows / Within You, Without You is worth the price of admission for me, personally.

Jeff

chris almighty
studio intern

Post by chris almighty » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:40 pm

As much as I hate it , I'm obsessed with it too. I LOVE parts of it, but when I hear the Taxman solo over Drive My Car, it's awful. I guess I love the remixes and hate the mash-ups.

high five
gettin' sounds

Post by high five » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:04 pm

I heard about 3 tracks and I couldn't take any more. I guess it did sound a little clearer, but I just don't care for the idea... I liked "Real Love" and "Free As a Bird" from the anthology a lot when they came out (even some of the alternate takes were cool), but this just seems weak. It feels like watching TV with an ADD friend who has to change the channel every 2 minutes. The only other album that made turned me off this much is probably Ben Folds' Fear of Pop.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:23 am

Tatertot wrote:Who owns the Beatles recordings now anyway?
The King of Pop has owned them for the past 20 yrs or so, right?

Maybe owning the Beatles copywrite is akin to Gollum possessing the Ring, as it bends the mind, causes the body to change... etc.

Deluxomatic
audio school

Post by Deluxomatic » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:01 pm

Tatertot wrote:Who owns the Beatles recordings now anyway?
EMI/Capitol. The Beatles (Apple) still oversees the releases as far as I know and must approve any release. That's why there haven't been endless shiity greatest hits from Capitol/EMI.