What Did You Work On Today? 11-28-06

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:50 pm

mjau wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:my date with parker posey tonight.
The most impressive part of an impressive day.
Yeah, tell her that her mom says hi.

I had a free morning to get caught up with the laundry, etc. Spent about an hour playing with my new EH Tube pre, just arrived yesterday. Ran my bass through a Radial ProDI into the EH, and was very impressed by the sound, nice and warm and round, a very useable DI sound. Then ran Minimoog and Rhodes through it, again, very nice. Finally recorded a little acoustic guitar through it with a MXL 604, also very nice. I think I'm really happy with this pre, especially for under $200.

Spent some time learning keyboard parts I recorded on a friend's CD 2 summers ago for his CD release next week. I had kind of learned the parts as I was recording them, punching in section by section, so this is the first time I actually played the parts.

Then walked the dog, it's been snowing here. Then to work where I've been playing the new Jack DeJohnette/John Scofield/Larry Goldings Trio Beyond CD on ECM. It's a live recording of a tribute to Tony Williams Lifetime, and, while not quite as scorching as Lifetime, is one of the coolest Jazz discs I've heard lately. Between this and his recent collaboration with Medeski Martin and Wood, Scofield is doing some great stuff lately.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:41 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i'd been thinking my fairchild 670 was acting a little funny, so i took it apart this morning before breakfast and had a look. couple simple tweaks and it was better than new.

as i was making coffee the clients showed up. i let kim, lee and thurston in and poured cups for each of them. i asked where steve was and they related the rather dramatic news that he'd left the band, for reasons they didn't want to get into. i was expressing my sympathies when kim shushed me and said not to worry about it and the immediate issue at hand was that they needed a drummer to finish their record. and then they all looked at me. anyway, long story short i hit record, ran behind the kit, and we ended up tracking 6 songs in 2 hours, all first takes. they were psyched and the mood was jovial while i ran off some quick roughs for them.

so that was the morning, while waiting for the afternoons clients i recapped a few channels in my neve board and got started on a new A/D converter i'm designing.

at about 12:30 shellac arrived. i had my assistants help them in with their gear and got them set up in the big room. had all the sounds together in 10 minutes or so and we were ready to go. rolled tape for a couple hours and got a bunch of awesome takes. they came in to listen and everyone seemed really pleased with the sounds. steve said it was great to have someone else engineering so he could just focus on playing, and then asked me for some pointers on recording drums.

good sessions today. really good sessions. the shellacs are coming back tomorrow. can't wait. anyway, after i bid them farewell for the day, i got a phone call from jimmy page, asking me if i was available to do the last, final, definitive remastering of the led zeppelin catalog. naturally i said of course! we ended up having a really great conversation and i would love to tell you all about it but i have to go and get ready for my date with parker posey tonight.
best post ever made on this board.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:17 pm

Finally, FINALLY, FINALLY got my (Crane Song) HEDD-192 in and installed it.

Ordered, paid for, blah, blah, blah *in April* - and it's finally (Finally, FINALLY, FINALLY) here. :crazy:

Yes, it was worth the wait. 8)

Then experimented with it on a children's album. Liking it lots. :hearts:
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:43 pm

tuesday i did jack with recording. THe day before i recorded VO and edited music and the vox for a "radio" spot. It was a class project for production 1 and is to easy. Pretty much finished it in an hour and a half. 2 days of class with nothing to do yea... *sighs* Wednesday im going to be working on an install at some guys house putting up a plasma tv and hooking up audio stuff.

Tuesdays pretty much suck for me.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:44 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i'd been thinking my fairchild 670 was acting a little funny...
Holy shit! Phil Brown's taken over MoreSpaceEcho's moniker!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:02 am

don't make me post my april fools phill brown story again!

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:20 am

Finished 2 commercials with both 30 and 60 second spots for BYU Basketball. Layed them back to Digital Beta and HD video.

Then worked on sound design for a short film.

Then at my home mastering studio I mastered 8 songs for a local artist Rob Peterson.

Pretty normal day.

Mike

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:45 am

Audio geekery was on my list yesterday

Am trying to finish a meter for the mic pre.

opamps and rectumfriers and assembly language.

My dog died. He was old. Chillest dog on the planet.

ju

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:56 am

fum wrote:Audio geekery was on my list yesterday

Am trying to finish a meter for the mic pre.

opamps and rectumfriers and assembly language.

My dog died. He was old. Chillest dog on the planet.

ju
Sorry to hear about the dog, fum.
Will the preamp be made available to the public, or is this one strictly homebrew?

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:09 am

mjau wrote: Will the preamp be made available to the public, or is this one strictly homebrew?
Yes, I had a prototype at the AES show in Oct. Was hoping to have it out before the end of the year(before the cool meter bug bit me), but it's looking like sometime in early 07 before it's in production.

Regards

ju

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:24 am

sorry to hear about your dog. that sucks.

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:39 am

cgarges wrote: Holy shit! Phil Brown's taken over MoreSpaceEcho's moniker!
I always thought it was Phill Brown. At least that's what The Mag prints.

BTW, when is that book coming out. I've been looking for it ever since the excerpts in the 20-30 issues.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:00 pm

jeez louise, what's up spelling nazi? you are correct though.

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:39 pm

Sheetrocking the new control room's walls. Wooooo.....(I really am psyched..)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:54 pm

I spent Tuesday in the operating room. Last Wed I cut my left and nicked a tendon. The went in and said it was cut 80%. They did the repair and now I'm in a new splint and sling until the 11th at least.