HELP! I broke my Logic XSKey dongle

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LifeGoesOff
gimme a little kick & snare

HELP! I broke my Logic XSKey dongle

Post by LifeGoesOff » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:55 am

Like an idiot, I was taking my computer from my studio to my house and accidentally left the dongle in the usb slot and bent it.

Does anyone know where I can get a new one fast? I looked around online and couldn't really find out how to go about getting a new one.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:08 am

i assume applecare replaces those...

LifeGoesOff

Post by LifeGoesOff » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:32 am

after a long search today, I found out how to replace it.

end thread here....

AudioJunky
takin' a dinner break

I'm curious

Post by AudioJunky » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:54 am

How do you replace that? Share with us please ; )

aj

jcooke
gettin' sounds

Post by jcooke » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:54 am

How do you replace it, in case I ever break mine?

jcooke

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:56 am

Dongle has got to be the worst word ever.

LifeGoesOff

Post by LifeGoesOff » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:52 pm

I was told to call apple tech support and I'd have to pay for a new one shipped out (about $100 I think) and then I'd just send in the broken one.

I was super-damn excited to have all my gear at my house again assembled with two weeks off coming with nothing but time to record and then this happens. Pain in the ass really, but lesson learned, treat that thing like it was your child, not the step kid you have and you don't really like, but feel like you have to just to impress the baby mama.

vier-personen
gettin' sounds

Post by vier-personen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:50 pm

curtiswyant wrote:Dongle has got to be the worst word ever.

oh yes, I agree totally!

the dongle is the reason why I wouldn?t buy software that uses one. And all the stories I am reading about what happens when a dongle is lost/broken are proving me I am right. 100$ just to use software again I already paid for? no, thanks! :evil:

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:07 pm

vier-personen wrote:100$ just to use software again I already paid for? no, thanks! :evil:
Ummm... imagine owning the WAVES Diamond Bundle for 3 yrs (meaning you have paid 2 yrs of WUP) and having your iLok die on you in the middle of a mixing session. This did not happen to me, but there is no way that I am going to ever spend more money on WAVES. They are the worst when it comes to dongles. $100 is actually cheap compared to them!

WAVES sucks more than the dongle concept sucks.

Jeff

LifeGoesOff

Post by LifeGoesOff » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:10 pm

Well, I finally got around to calling Apple tech support today and they said they'd replace the dongle for free (pheww!). I had to give them a credit card number for them to hold on file until I sent them back my old one. The only shitty part is that it's going to take around 10-16 business days.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:01 pm

I've had some dongle hell with logic over the years, which made going with Logic Express 7 this time around an easier decision. (no dongle)

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:46 pm

You know, that last post gave me an idea:

Isn't there a Logic Express 30 day demo that you can download? I got a 30 day demo disc with the Apple Pro Training Series book. If you don't get your xskey in time at least you can do some recording and then dump it into Logic Pro when you get the chance. It's a bit of a pain, but it beats sitting around waiting for the mailman. And it beats Garageband.

Heck, if you really want I can try to dig up that cd and send it to you. I'm making no promises, but it may still be around somewhere. (Of course this means that once I send it to you the same scary fate will befall me, so I'd want you to send it back.)

Good news about the policy with the free replacement though. It may be the first positive thing I've heard about Apple's Customer Service. Do you have Apple Care? I'm just wondering why they're so nice.

Jim

LifeGoesOff

Post by LifeGoesOff » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:24 am

I borrowed a key from a friend who has a copy of Logic Pro until I get mine back which is nice. I don't know the exact policy Apple has, but I had to kind of fib a bit and say that it just wasn't working (made no mention of bending it). Maybe that's the trick. I'm not sure if there is a warrenty of how long you can get the key replaced for free.