The Beatles - Love

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:52 pm

ipressrecord wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Who owns the Beatles recordings now anyway?
The King of Pop has owned them for the past 20 yrs or so, right?
Jacko owns the songs themselves, not the recordings. As the previous poster stated, EMI/Capitol owns the recordings.

And I hear Jackson may be in the process of selling the songs off to pay his legal bills.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

dub3000
audio school graduate

Post by dub3000 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:00 pm

worth the price of admission for the new mix of 'i am the walrus' alone.

the second half of the original stereo mix used a 'stereo-ified' version of the original mono mix because there were no tapes for some of the stuff on that mix - if you listen to it, there's some weird phase/comb filter effect that makes things sound like bad suck.

they've gone back and somehow remixed the whole song in stereo properly (maybe they recreated the radio noise stuff separately with voice actors?) and it sounds f'n incredible.

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:14 pm

worth the price of admission for the new mix of 'i am the walrus' alone.
Agreed. What an incredible arrangement/soundscape. Really has never been matched nearly 40 years on.

JSG

Get Thee To A Nunnery
audio school graduate

Post by Get Thee To A Nunnery » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:28 pm

The Beatles absolutely have EMI by the by the short and curlies. While technically EMI may own the recordings the Beatles are in complete control.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

chris almighty
studio intern

Post by chris almighty » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:43 am

In England the Beatles songs become public domain in a few years. At least the early stuff. It'll be another 50 years here in the US.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:20 pm

I just picked up a copy to give to my mom for the holidays. Looking forward to hearing it myself. What I've heard so far leads me to think it's a hit or miss affair.

spectralgrey
gettin' sounds

Post by spectralgrey » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:10 pm

After hearing this record I would really love to hear all of the other Beatles releases remixed/remastered in such a fashion. Some of the mashups were questionable, but the remixed songs, particularly I Am The Walrus, sounded amazing. It's the first time I've heard the Beatles on CD having the same impact as the Beatles on vinyl.

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:44 pm

i thought the album couldve been trimmed down by shortening songs (Come Together shouldve been like Get Back or I Wanna Hold Your Hand or USSR), having more mashups to keep it interesting, having less 68-69 era songs, or simply just not having it 79 minutes long! the 1 album was understandable being just as long, but love was just too long. and whoever mastered it fucked up with when to start the next track (i.e. Tomorrow Never Knows, Lucy, Octopus' Garden).
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:40 am

dogcow wrote:I'm not super-motivated to hear this, but I bet in the context of the Cirque Du Soleil show at the Mirage in Vegas, it all sounds great. I've heard very good things about the show.
That's worth remembering, it's music for a show first and foremost. I actually really like it. There are a couple of things i would've done differently - one particular edit at the end of 'come together' is actually appalling. But we all have the originals, this is just a bonus, not trying to replace anything.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:42 am

ipressrecord wrote:
Consider this a brilliant Beatles mashup. Tomorrow Never Knows / Within You, Without You is worth the price of admission for me, personally.
Yeah, that is ace.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:15 am

Got it for Xmas. I like the new mixes, I think the mashups are cool, but I don't think they went far enough.

Like Rigsby said, it's important to remember it's for a Cirque show, which means it'll play to tourists for years, and that, I'm sure, partly explains the occasionally pedestrian song selection. 'Cause really, do we need a new mix of "Hey Jude?"

I saw the Cirque appearance on Leno, and they did the "Drive my car/the word/what you're doing" piece. While I enjoyed the mashup, the choreography was completely silly.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Jupiter4Jackie
audio school graduate

Post by Jupiter4Jackie » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:40 am

I'm so glad someone did a post on this... I'm was going to pick up the album and but had the notion I'd be really really disappointed. I think I'll pick it up and listen with my own ears and see... and I love Cirque shows/music, so I was hoping the album would be a complement to their work but err, I'll just have to listen I guess.

When I go to Vegas this year after the Conference, should I stay away from that show?
"...he reaches for the pen, but the Lackey says "Actually, I think you need a little more development." Swim again, please. Backstroke. And he does of course."
- Steve Albini, The Problem With Music