Sure SM7 - What do you like it on & why?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

parlormusic
pushin' record

Sure SM7 - What do you like it on & why?

Post by parlormusic » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:05 am

I have one, but I'm curious what other people like to use it on and why.
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

jx
gettin' sounds

Post by jx » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:31 am

i think it's the perfect mic for digital recording. when a condenser's too glassy, it seems to have that sort of tape/analogue 'haze' that's needed sometimes. mine's served time on kick, snare, overhead, acoustic guitar (the jeff lynne trick), bass & guitar amps, lead & backing vocals, and i've heard others use it on everything from brass, to percussion, to strings with great effect...

the question should be, what DON'T i like it on...

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:46 am

What I want to know is: is this yet another mic that everyone hates the newer version and loves some slightly different version made 20 years ago? I've noticed that what Shure's selling now is the SM 7B, and I don't know what the difference is.

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:04 am

i remember the difference btw the sm7 and sm7b as the sm7b having less noise and being less prone to rfi interference. i have a sm7b and love it. great for bass cabs, lots of vocalists, snare, some guitar cabs, etc. not that they sound that similar, but seems to work wherever you could put a 421 but want more detail and presence.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:56 am

Johnny B wrote:What I want to know is: is this yet another mic that everyone hates the newer version and loves some slightly different version made 20 years ago? I've noticed that what Shure's selling now is the SM 7B, and I don't know what the difference is.
I've used them both and I don't really notice a difference.
I have a very loud singer that I record often and I always use the SM7 on him.
Just works perfect everytime.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:58 pm

according to shure the difference between the sm7 and the sm7 b is the mounting bracket, but Ive read a thousand internet threads swearing the b is better :?

I like it on dam near everything but especially metal vox
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:01 pm

Yeah I certainly use mine on all sorts of stuff around the studio, well at least within reason. I haven't tried 'em on the piano, and they don't quite fit on snare easily, but just about everywhere else at some point.
My favorite though is to use them on stage for male vocals, although lots of singers complain that it's too big - which is humorous because side-by-side with a '58, there's not that much difference. The best thing is that it is practically immune to feedback on stage, I've pointed them straight at monitors without feedback, well just to test it. If you've got one, I'd suggest trying it on the live stage.

-Jeremy

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:41 pm

One of my favorites. Electric guitar, bass guitar, many vocalists. A desert island mic if there ever was one.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:33 am

Vocals, electric guitar, trumpet.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:38 pm

The SM7B is one of those mics that works very well on just about anything. The only exception would be anything that's pretty quiet because it's a fairly low output mic and requires some significant preamplifier gain.

About two years ago we recorded an album with a singer-songwriter from the UK who played live in the booth with his acoustic guitar while he sang into an SM7B. Later on we overdubbed the lead vocal with a fine sounding U67. During mixdown, we ended up using mostly the live track, but comped in a few phrases here and there from the U67 takes. It was nearly impossible to tell the difference between the two.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:52 pm

Electric guitar, bass and metal and spoken vox.

SMC Productions
alignin' 24-trk

Post by SMC Productions » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:17 pm

allbaldo wrote:One of my favorites. Electric guitar, bass guitar, many vocalists. A desert island mic if there ever was one.
What he said! :^:
Calcitra Clunis
http://smcstudios.we.bs/

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:23 pm

I even used it on foley recordings, and it sounded just right (i.e. not too hyped).

In that same session, I used it on a bowed China cymbal, and it worked great. Can you imagine that through a Chinese condensor??

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:13 pm

jx wrote:... mine's served time on kick, snare, overhead, acoustic guitar (the jeff lynne trick),
ok JX...I'll bite. Whats the "jeff lynne trick"? I read your post and then searched this and a couple other forums and can't find a thing...related to acoustic guitar recording anyway! Can you point me to somewhere I can read about it?

Thanks!

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:47 am

Do any of you use a shock mount with this mic? I have several shock mounts, but none that fit this mic.
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395