Who would you like to see Tape Op interview

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Gabe
audio school graduate

Post by Gabe » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Chris Walla interviewed, looking back on his early years and his current obsession with RADAR.

Jenny Lewis interview with insights on her influences during the Rilo years and what is on the horizon with The Postal Service and her new album.

Blake Sennett from The Elected discussing his years in Rilo and also the techniques he used to create his crystal clear "Sun, Sun, Sun"

Sufjan Stevens! Ask him everything possible especially reagarding his layered orchestrations and the process he uses when constructing a song and his ability to create so much unbelievable material.

Conor Oberst! I know you just had the Mike Mogis article which was phenomenal but it would be unreal to have an interview with Conor hearing about his recording philosophies.

[/u]

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:01 pm

I tried to look through the previously interviewed so I don't come up with repeats but I might not have recognized the person's name because I'm familiar with their alias/bandname. I was going to ask for the Microphones but I saw Phil Elvrum.

Kevin Barnes: I was surprised to not have seen him interviewed or even mentioned. The mastermind behind Of Montreal, I'm sure you're all familiar with Elephant 6 as neutral milk and apples are very popular around here. Kevin plays a lot of the instruments himself and records it all too. I'd be interested in how his sound has developed and how recording has changed due to that. I know he went from 4-track to Pro Tools and the newer stuff sounds so different.

Dr. Dog : Definitely second/third this candidate. Belongs in TapeOp. I think Easy Beat was 4Track but their next album is 8track. Their new single has been out for a while and it's still great stuff. I love the way their piano sounds, reminds me of Beatles/Paul/Emitt Rhodes.

Phoenix : Or whoever recorded their records, because there is a consistency between them. I think I've heard someone asking on TOMB about Phoenix's drum sounds. I'd love to know aobut the drum sounds too, and what kind of mic/pre/guitars were used. Their album sounds like good pop music in the future to me.

Arcade Fire I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned either. I know the producer joined the band as drummer I believe. The vocals on the album have a great spring reverb. Also the kick sounds so big and natural. I think the whole album sounds natural in a dreamy way... does that make sense? Curious what kind of reverb they used. and vocal/drum mics.

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:35 pm

didn't phoenix record with the guys from air? or am i just imagining that i heard that somewhere?

bleds
audio school

Post by bleds » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:30 pm

Elbow!

From the bio on their website, "...while we criss-crossed the globe we realised how much time is wasted waiting around. So, we started writing the 3rd record on the road on a wee porta-studio. In June last year we decided we wanted to record this one ourselves at home. So we looked around Manchester and Salford and eventually found THE BIG ROOM at Blueprint Studios. We filled it with instruments and snazzy new recording equipment and set about collaborating, developing and re-recording a big bunch of ideas started everywhere from Havana to Berlin to Dundee. 40 ideas become 30 songs and the album started taking on a shape..."

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:56 pm

Spike Stent.

Andy Wallace.

Nigel Godrich

CLA.

JJP.

Did I say Spike Stent already?

ramchandra
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ramchandra » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:47 am

Matt Pence
Centromatic

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:45 am

Well quite honestly I'd love to see me interviewed some day but until that day arrives and I actually have something worthwhile to talk about.....

I'll second the Spot interview. I cut my geetar playin teeth on SST records....Iggy Pop and who ever engineered Raw Power...The guy who did Never Mind The Bollocks. I looked him up once but couldn't find any session notes....Phil Spector or Brian Wilson if you could catch them on a good day.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:14 pm

Mission. Of. Burma.

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:55 am

MATT GOLDMAN
MATT GOLDMAN
MATT GOLDMAN
MATT GOLDMAN
MATT GOLDMAN
GLOW IN THE DARK STUDIOS IN ATLANTA
MATT GOLDMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

telefunky
audio school

Post by telefunky » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:02 pm

Steve Lillywhite
Thomas Dolby
Chris Thomas
Sonic Youth
Lindsay Buckingham
Mike Hedges
Bill Price
Daniel Miller and Alan Wilder
Bruce Botnick
Alan Moulder
Vince Clarke

Kitana_One
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kitana_One » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:55 pm

I'd like to add my vote for all of these that were mentioned before....

Flood
Alan Moulder
Vince Clark
Alain Jourgenson,
Daniel Miller,
Adrian Sherwood
There were a few other good 80's "alternative" producers mentioned as well.

I'd also like to see:

Cevin Key, Dave Ogilvie, Greg Reely, Ken Marshall, Anthony Valcic (Skinny Puppy/Mushroom Studios)
Martin Atkins (PIL/Killing Joke/Pigface/Invisible Records)

There are tons of others, but those are the first to cme to mind today.

oh, I never thought I'd see "Crucifucks" mentioned at the Tape-Op board. What a small world it is. I thought no-one knew who they were.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:26 pm

Kitana_One wrote: oh, I never thought I'd see "Crucifucks" mentioned at the Tape-Op board. What a small world it is. I thought no-one knew who they were.
Are you kidding? That first album is a classic! I'm not much for the second, though.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:15 pm

Looking at the recent thread on Can brought to mind how great a TapeOp interview with Holger Czukay would be. Seriously...this would be great!! Come to think of it, an interview with Jaki and/or Irmin would be equally cool.

Kitana_One
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kitana_One » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:27 pm

centurymantra wrote:Looking at the recent thread on Can brought to mind how great a TapeOp interview with Holger Czukay would be. Seriously...this would be great!! Come to think of it, an interview with Jaki and/or Irmin would be equally cool.

He was featured in the documentary "Modulations" in which he had some very interesting stuff he was going on about, however, it was more theoretical than technical. I'd love to read a good tech interview with Holger.

zetabass
studio intern

Post by zetabass » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:19 pm

Victor or Bela from the Flectones,
These guys always end up in the production credits and I know at least a few of their discs were done in home studios on VS-? whatevers!

And their sounds have always been fantastic to my ears.
Viva La Resolution!