Day trip: Sonic Circus!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Day trip: Sonic Circus!

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:15 pm

Just went to Vermont today to visit Sonic Circus! Tony, Marc and I (Studio G) all hopped in a snazzy rental car and FLOORED it out of NYC to go visit the Sonic Circus HQ. ( I am in the process of buying a beautiful Neve console!!!! Hooray!!).

I must say this: Sonic Circus is awesome. The place is amazing, the people are amazing... I feel really, really confident that my Neve will be delivered in first class shape! Being able to finally walk up and touch it was something of a trip to mecca for me, andd the guys (and gals) at Sonic were totally fun and cool to hang out with. It was really nice to just be there. Super chill environment, but totally getting the job done at the same time... my kind of place!

I just wanted to give a nod to all of you that may be looking for cool gear, but have sworn off the broken BS being sold on ebay (as I have done ).

The people at Sonic really know their stuff, and it made me feel good to visit since this will be a very big purchase for me. A vintage neve console is no small thing for anyone, I guess... anyway,
Sonic made me feel totally at home, and made me feel like it was the right decision to go with them when I started my search for a nice old neve that met my search criteria.

Check them out, for things big and small. Totally committed people, and they really stand by their stuff! Nothing is sold "as is" from that place, it is all gone over and totally refurbed before the sale. that is totally amazing to me, and just as important as a new manufacturer that stands behind what THEY make as well!!!

Special thanks to Brian and Colby!

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:04 pm

Brian at sonic circus is a nice guy. Met him a couple times over in my neck of the woods.

What are you getting?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:11 pm

sonicmook56 wrote:Brian at sonic circus is a nice guy. Met him a couple times over in my neck of the woods.

What are you getting?
A 5316, with 24 31114's, 8 31115's, and a pair of 33314's (the 33609 as a console mounted thingy basically). 8 busses, 4 aux.

It is basically the same thing as at Tiny Telephone....different main frame config, and has moving fader automation by Uptown, which I am psyched about!

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:52 pm

If I may ask, what does the Neve offer sonically that your souped-up console doesn't? Just curious.
_Travis

citystate
takin' a dinner break

Post by citystate » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:04 am

congrats joel!
i'd love to have you mix some of my stuff on there. gotta find a minute to finish and get back out to nyc.

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:44 am

If I may ask, what does the Neve offer sonically that your souped-up console doesn't? Just curious.
Sonically, I'm sure it's luscious.

But having N, E, V, and E on the gear list is $.

It is a business after all:)

Congrats Joel and Tony -- if I get my shit together, I will be getting to know the beast sooner or later.

Cheers,

JSG

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:48 am

stereopathetic_banjo wrote:If I may ask, what does the Neve offer sonically that your souped-up console doesn't? Just curious.
_Travis
Well, I need more channels. The level of mix projects i have been getting requires certain functional differences... The uptown automation for instance...

I absolutely LOVE my console... I really do. It has become something I am qquite proud of, BUT: it doesnt say neve on it, and unfortunately in this world, there are A&R guys, and people that dont know or care what a "purple audio discrete daughterboard" is or why it helps to make my custom console such an amazing thing. I am putting my custom console in The Bunker studio here in Brooklyn. It will continue life as a well used console, on cool projects, with good engineers over there. (toaster 3000 used to be my assistant and runs the Bunker... he knows that console pretty damn well and I am sure he will be getting great things happening with it in no time!).

The decision to get a classic Neve console is really based on the level of work i am fortunate enough to be involved in these days.. at this point in my life and career (were getting personal now... ;) )

When I went to avatar to do some work with Elvis costello, it could have easily been done at my place, with all my gear, but I simply didnt have a Neve, ya know? There are other examples like that.
After working on the 5316 at Tiny Telephone, I realized that I could have my cake and eat it too if I just plunked down a breathtaking amount of money on a classic console like this, rather than continuing to sink money into an investment that I could never get back the "mod money" if you know what i mean. Tough decision, but i find myself in a position to do it, so that is that! ;)

It is the same reason I have a U47 (among other things) even though it may sit in the mic locker for an entire session while i use a 4033 or a charter oak or a whatever... The U47 is the U47 and it is an amazing tool. Can I get the job done with a mackie? of course, but recording is what I do, and my pursuit of the best possible recordings is something i have not wavered from in many, many years.
If this is a hobby for someone, then it would make no sense to have a U47, a STA LEVEL, and a neve console... or a studer A827 or any other of the subtantial items I have been fortunate enough to have come into my life. If you are a "lifer" like me, then by all means, any great tool you can get your hands on "makes sense" to purchase. I will have this neve for the rest of my life presumably, and that is a heavy statement!

I urge anyone out there to commit to serious gear, ONLY if they are serious! I am, and so this just feels like a natural progression!

Hit record!

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:53 am

thanks for the props Joel... can't wait to start rocking the Auditronics... can't wait to see/hear/use the Neve!

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:58 am

jrsgodfrey wrote:
Sonically, I'm sure it's luscious.

But having N, E, V, and E on the gear list is $.

It is a business after all:)

Congrats Joel and Tony -- if I get my shit together, I will be getting to know the beast sooner or later.

Cheers,

JSG

Well put, and i didnt see it while I was typing the rant below it.. ;)

Hope to see you rockin the thing soon! Happy new year, JSG!

John, I am sure you will rock the A-tronics... It is really an amazing console, and you guys wll do it justice over there!

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:23 am

Joel, Thanks for the reply. I kinda knew the answer before I asked, I guess- was kinda curious where you were at, I suppose. Takinga leap like this in life is always a huge and exciting thing, and I always like to hear the how and whys, if that makes sense... I'm psyched for you (and anyone taking leaps of faith)! When are expecting delivery?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:51 pm

stereopathetic_banjo wrote:Joel, Thanks for the reply. I kinda knew the answer before I asked, I guess- was kinda curious where you were at, I suppose. Takinga leap like this in life is always a huge and exciting thing, and I always like to hear the how and whys, if that makes sense... I'm psyched for you (and anyone taking leaps of faith)! When are expecting delivery?
I hear you!
I am expecting delivery in early march, with a quick "in relative terms" install, as everything will be on DL's before it even gets here, so in theory, I can snap the DL's together and go! All the outboard bays will be fit into the neve bay which is being custom extended to accept the extra 96 pt TT bays we have here at Studio G.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Wow - congrats, Joel! I hope the transition is indeed a smooth one.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:11 pm

Congrats on the Neve console Joel!

Did you happen to see another Neve there...one that might have come from a studio in London...one that was getting ready to be shipped out here to Omaha? The wait is agonizing but it should be here any day now!

Ian

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:42 pm

i am monster face wrote:Congrats on the Neve console Joel!

Did you happen to see another Neve there...one that might have come from a studio in London...one that was getting ready to be shipped out here to Omaha? The wait is agonizing but it should be here any day now!

Ian
There are a few of them there... Yours isnt THE neve is it? The GM one?

If it is, you are PSYCHED.

There is also the Lanois 8068 there.... that one is beautiful as well...

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:51 am

Yeah, the GM board is for the studio I'm working at. I still haven't seen it yet. Agonizing. It should be here soon though.

I touched the Lanois board when they picked up the Studer. I stood there in the back of the truck at 7:30am just rubbing it. It was fantastic.

Ian