Favorite used electric guitar under $400?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jcooke
gettin' sounds

Favorite used electric guitar under $400?

Post by jcooke » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:55 am

What are some favorite cheap electric guitars. I guess I'm interested mainly in older guitars that could be had on ebay.

thanks,
jcooke

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:09 am

under that..new...danelectro pro56.

also those thinline teles squier was doing some years ago, protone line or something? pretty cool stuff.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:14 am

Mexican Fenders...

kingnimrod
pushin' record

Post by kingnimrod » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:25 am

Japanese Fenders are good in that price range, Danelectros are fun but some of them have weak necks.

Mexican Fenders can be had all day long for $200 or less if you know where to look.

Some Fender Squiers are good guitars. I have a few of the Japanese Vista series (mid 90s) that are great, and one of the Koream protone telecasters.

Older guitars are a crapshoot, especially on ebay.

I'd suggest going to Borders and picking up one of thos guitar encyclopedias and use that as your lust list.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:27 am

I would love to say mexican fenders (I'm a Fender guy through and through. . .i've got Americans, Japs, Mexicans, etc), but I think the best VALUE in instruments are the Ibanez Artcores. They can be had for under $400 NEW. Check them out!
HWJLHC?

JeffPatterson
audio school

Post by JeffPatterson » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:03 am

I picked up a Guild S70d for $350.00. It's ugly but a fantastic guitar and worth twice that. They just don't have any value for some reason.

Best, JP

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:09 am

Obviously, it depends on what style you want.

I heart Danelectros (even the recent Korean made ones).

I also have a Gretsch Electromatic Junior Jet (their Les Paul JR copy), with a single P90 dogear pickup. Replaced the wraparound bridge with another wraparound that is adjustable (thanks, Stewart Macdonald http://stewmac.com). Guitar- $99. Bridge- $40.

I like the Epiphone Les Paul Jr. too. Actually, most of the Epiphones are great bang-for-the-buck.

On acoustics, anything from the Godin family (Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art Lutherie, Godin)- great value, very playable.
Last edited by kayagum on Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:13 am

kayagum wrote: I like the Epiphone Les Paul Jr. too. Actually, most of the Epiphones are great bang-for-the-buck.
the new 1957 one is very cool. i never tried the older ones, but this one's def. very nice.

i've thought about the gretsch one time and time again though..it sure does look very nice..

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:16 am

First: Carvin. I am referring to their 1970s guitars with the one-piece through-the-body neck and the overzealous pickup selector switch options. The Carvin name ensures that they will always be worthless for resale, which makes it easier to beat up on them a little bit (which is how one ought to enjoy a guitar anyway) I have a mid-1970s double cutaway with ebony fretboard and gold plating everywhere.

Second: The older Ibanez guitars, particularly the Strat knockoff "Roadstar" guitars. Those are a pleasure to play.

Third: I have always wanted to pick up one of those Ovation solid-body electrics. They are apparently built "strong like chainsaw" and they are weird enough to stand out in a crowd.

Fourth: The 1970s Yamaha solid body guitars, like Santana used to play before PRS came along (I think). Although, good luck actually finding one for less than 400 bones.

Or maybe you just want a boring Mexican Strat. Nothing wrong with that. I vote that you go for something weird though.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:30 am

Brownsville Choirboy. It's semi-hollow-liscious.

The 12-string version is the shit.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:58 am

not used, but new, I like the Epiphone Dot. If you get a good piece of wood this is a great, solid guitar. upgrade the elctronics and it's a greater guitar.

I personally love cheap guitar. I love to have oodles of them around. You can f$^% with them unmercifully and not be afraid.

I have an Epiphone Acoustic I got off MF for $99 that sounds pretty darn good. I'd never play a gig with it, but it tracks well.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:18 am

Any 1980's Ibanez Roabstar II. Solid ash body, one piece solid maple neck, and made in Japan. These guitars can often be found for under $300.00 and they will beat the pants off any mexi Fender.

-doc

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:22 am

G&L Tributes (any model), they're almost under 400 new, and they kick ass for the price.

If you don't do your own guitar work, ebay is risky for guitars...add a tech bill to a cheap guitar and it isn't cheap anymore. If the neck is warped, you just bought a paperweight. Be careful.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:50 am

I did really well buying a used G&L (not tribute - full American made) on e-bay. It was a beat-up ASAT and I paid about $550 for it. Normally it's over $1000. I did have to correct a little backbowing on the neck, but if you save up a little more and aren't picky about color and scratches, paint chips, etc, you can get a killer guitar for a lot less.

The good thing about G&L on e-bay is that their quality control is reliable enough that you can be a lot more confident. With a Gibson (to mention the other extreme) you kinda have to play the actual guitar to know just what you're getting.

Todd Wilcox

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:58 am

I have a Vantage Alembic Copy, it was $375.00, and I love it. I swapped out the pickups, and it is great.
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...