Moderators: drumsound, tomb

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:38 pm

beyer m380. what a weird mic.

ceilingcat84
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ceilingcat84 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:32 pm

earthworks QTC1. very transparent. I've used these as drum overheads and they pick up practically the whole kit (still needs low end reinforcement) while keeping transients audible.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:05 pm

I used to get great drum room sounds from one of those Radio Shack PZM mics. That and a 421 on kick was really good for rock drums. I had almost forgotten about using those.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:01 pm

Nady Starpower 3 on acoustic guitars and male backing vocals.

no, really...
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Post by DGoody » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:10 pm

I have to be a hog and give three choices for me..... Oktava ML19. Older Soviet-era unidirectional ribbon mic.... looks like a Japanese lantern. Amazing on electric guitars, vocals, and a host of things..... the best, most used microphones I own.

The other is a pair of hydrophones. Underwater mics that are extremely sensitive, which makes them great for taping to a bottom of a hi hat, and sent through an old, nasty circuit. Lots of times, I'll tape them to an instrument as a contact mic, and just totally fuck that up. Instant fun. And they work greatest underwater!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:13 pm

oh, and the Astatic DN-50 (mine was rebadged Stromberg-Carlson) is great for small guitar amps and certain vocal and acoustic guitar sounds.

*waves to eeldip*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:21 am

old ev dynamics 635a, re15, re11. i love them.

rft gefell pm750. weird mic. when it is right, it's right.

gt44 tube condensers. great on acoustic guitar and accordion.

and i never lost my love for the at4033.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:53 am

RefD wrote:Nady Starpower 3 on acoustic guitars and male backing vocals.

no, really...
At high risk to my already non-existent "standing" here at TOMB I have to +1 on this. Even the SP-1 has a lot of unexpected quality. May sound ridiculous but IMO it's a really decent mic...even on hand percussion.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:50 pm

KennyLusk wrote:
RefD wrote:Nady Starpower 3 on acoustic guitars and male backing vocals.

no, really...
At high risk to my already non-existent "standing" here at TOMB I have to +1 on this. Even the SP-1 has a lot of unexpected quality. May sound ridiculous but IMO it's a really decent mic...even on hand percussion.
i really wasn't joking.

got the thing for free a few years ago and discovered the zingy top, weird mids and fading low end work really well for taming boomy acoustic guitars and male vocals, no HPF needed.

ymmv.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:47 pm

RefD wrote:oh, and the Astatic DN-50 (mine was rebadged Stromberg-Carlson) is great for small guitar amps and certain vocal and acoustic guitar sounds.

*waves to eeldip*
ha ha funy. i was thinking... i think i have that mic... or did i sell it???

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:02 pm

eeldip wrote:
RefD wrote:oh, and the Astatic DN-50 (mine was rebadged Stromberg-Carlson) is great for small guitar amps and certain vocal and acoustic guitar sounds.

*waves to eeldip*
ha ha funy. i was thinking... i think i have that mic... or did i sell it???
you added it and a pair of hi-Z mics from a Webcor RtR when we did a trade a year or two ago.

the one working Webcor mic is pretty fun into fuzz box -> wah-as-bandpass -> DI.

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:05 pm

I've posted these elsewhere before, but they bear repeating...

MXL 990 on floor tom - the best floor mic I've ever heard, and it's $60

I've been using my Heil PR40 on everything lately... it sounds awesome inside a kick with a D112 on the outside (blend to taste), and I even mic'd a Ampeg bass 4x10 bass rig with it and it came out awesome.

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:19 am

i have a Realistic omni dynamic mic which i used on an upright really close to the back and got a really cool piano sound. I cant wait to use this on other things as soon as i get my home studio back up and running

river
pushin' record

Post by river » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:17 am

Also the EV RE38 for kick and certain vox...
Try it on snare sometime. 8)

AT3035 is my go to mic for lots of things....vocals, electric guitar cabs, acoustic guitar, piano, upright bass, alto & tenor sax, room mic. So freakin' useful for the $$
"Madam, tomorrow I will be sober, but you'll still be ugly" Winston Churchill

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:31 am

river wrote:
Also the EV RE38 for kick and certain vox...
AT3035 is my go to mic for lots of things....vocals, electric guitar cabs, acoustic guitar, piano, upright bass, alto & tenor sax, room mic. So freakin' useful for the $$
+1 for the 3035 here. Sometimes you can find them NIB on ebay for $130 (that's how I got mine) and there's virtually no self noise and no hype anywhere on the spectrum. Smooth as silk.

Discovered just the day before yesterday that with a windscreen it's the best thing I've used yet for native american flute. Posted a simple track using it on my soundclick space if anyone's interested. "Forest Speak" is the name of the track. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=117445

Highly recommend the 3035 for anyone doing woodwinds and flutes.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna