Jeff Buckley Guitar Sound

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wesimel
gettin' sounds

Jeff Buckley Guitar Sound

Post by wesimel » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Anybody know what effects Jeff used in halleluiah? can't quite put my finger on it. kinda chorusey but not as harsh/cheesy/80's?

w

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:59 pm

On the studio version, some massive reverb nonsense.

If you buy the full version of "Live at Sine", you'll realize you don't need any of that reverb nonsense. The magic is in how he plays. Goes to show you how little you need besides a Tele and an amp. (Probably a Deluxe or Princeton, maybe a Twin).

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:58 pm

live he used like, a twin and some single space reverb unit. lexicon, i'm thinking.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:53 am

oh boy...that takes me back :shock:

jeff buckley....exactly what others said, tele, fender amp and its reverb. later, a les paul and a rick. his live sound was very much the rick, in the normal albums...the live at sine thingy is with a borrowed tele that he ended up keeping.

interesting cat. people thought he was jesus or something. disturbing to listen to now though.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:29 am

I believe he used an Alesis Quadraverb on his guitar rig.

The studio version could be anything though.

Check out the live Mystery White Boy dvd.

By the way, what a great song. Ironically, I love both Buckley's and especially John Cale's cover of that song better than the original Leonard Cohen version, though Cohen is a lyrical idol of mine. I think Buckley patterned his cover after Cale's as well.

Roger

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:37 am

I always thought it sounded like he was using an EHX POG. But I could be wrong. Brilliant song, brilliant performance. Sent chills up my spine first time I heard it.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:47 am

KennyLusk wrote:I always thought it sounded like he was using an EHX POG. But I could be wrong. Brilliant song, brilliant performance. Sent chills up my spine first time I heard it.
Buckley died years before the POG was a blip on Mike Matthews' radar screen. You're right about the chills, though. A man and a guitar. Nothing else.

Roger

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:50 am

Rodgre wrote:I believe he used an Alesis Quadraverb on his guitar rig.
i remember that as well, very true.

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Barry Jive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:15 pm

Rodgre wrote:
KennyLusk wrote:I always thought it sounded like he was using an EHX POG. But I could be wrong. Brilliant song, brilliant performance. Sent chills up my spine first time I heard it.
Buckley died years before the POG was a blip on Mike Matthews' radar screen. You're right about the chills, though. A man and a guitar. Nothing else.

Roger
A man, a guitar, and an edit I think. I remember seeing or reading somewhere that the song is pieced together from at least 2 different takes. I have a theory it might be on a certain guitar upstroke.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:05 pm

[/quote]

A man, a guitar, and an edit I think. I remember seeing or reading somewhere that the song is pieced together from at least 2 different takes. I have a theory it might be on a certain guitar upstroke.[/quote]

Eric, what do you mean by this? Can you elaborate?
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:12 am

Rodgre wrote:A man and a guitar. Nothing else.

Roger
Ummm... and a voice.

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:17 am

Quadraverb, definitely. I believe Brian McTear of Miner Street here in Philly has Buckley's old units as well as his handmade presets. At least that's what he told me a few years ago...

P.

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:18 am

Quadraverb, definitely. I believe Brian McTear of Miner Street here in Philly has Buckley's old units that have his handmade presets. At least that's what he told me a few years ago...

P.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:58 am

rydberg wrote:Quadraverb, definitely. I believe Brian McTear of Miner Street here in Philly has Buckley's old units as well as his handmade presets. At least that's what he told me a few years ago...

P.
Whoa! I'll have to ask Brian about this next time I see him. That's kind of... crazy!

Jeff

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:08 pm

buckley was not of this earth. yea, chills up my spine too every time i hear it. the dude was magic.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo