Peluso vs. Royer... Opinions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

buzzaudioguy
gettin' sounds

Peluso vs. Royer... Opinions?

Post by buzzaudioguy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:23 am

So I'm in the market for a new ribbon mic, and after reading the review of the Peluso R14 in Tape Op I starting thinking seriously about picking one up. The only thing I'm questioning is how it might work in the applications I'd be using in, especially with electric guitar. In the review, they used it for jazz guitar and loved it. For the most part I record alot of rock, indie rock, punk & metal bands. I'd always heard great things about the Royer R-121 in those applications and had thought I'd pick one of them up, but I'm wondering if anyone here has used the R14 to recorded edgier stuff. I listen to a sample on Sound Pure's site of the R14. It's sounded great. Big, bluesy and classic, but not enough range to know what all this mic can do. Any opinions? Love to hear from some R14 owners out there. Thanks!

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:24 am

This week's clients came in with a JCM800, a Mesa Dual Recto, and we also put up my '64 Bassman. Big 4x12 cabs turned up loud.

We recently got a Peluso R14 and used it into a Langevin AM17GC. Instant rock. Ballsy as a 4038 and a clearer top end.

We now have a number of the Peluso offerings (both original prototype models and commercial ones) and I continue to be very pleased with how great they all sound. The only hole in my experience is limited use of the Royer mics, so I can't really compare that for you...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:33 am

I've never used any Peluso mics, but I own a Royer 121. That thing lives on amps/cabs. Phenomenal for that application IMO.

buzzaudioguy
gettin' sounds

Post by buzzaudioguy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:01 am

Awesome! Thanks guys! Please keep it coming. Hopefully someone's had some experience with both mics.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:39 am

I have a Royer 121 also, it is my number one mic for guitar, just amazing. What can I say...you put it up and it sounds exactly like the source. I don't have A Pelso but i do have a AA U47 clone with a peluso cap that is quickly becoming my fave LDC mic so they must make great stuff too. For a mordern ribbon sound I it's hard to top the Royer so far as I know yet.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:42 am

Yep, sorry no experience with Peluso either but the R121 is truly a mojo mic, I find myself reaching for it for a lot of stuff, not just electric guitar, which it absolutely excels at. The Royer is more expensive but does include a re-ribboning which is something to keep in mind.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:23 pm

I swear to god.

Go to www.proaudioheaven.com.

Get a ribbon from them.

They're amazing.

I was skeptical at first, but I got a pair of B&O BM-3's, and they sound just like an old RCA! Holy shit, man! Plus, they guarantee the ribbon for a year, free replacement. The BM 3 was the darker mic of the B&O's, but I love it. I sound instantly like the old Beach Boys Smile records.

Call the guy, talk to him, and he'll tell you everything you need to know.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

oyrgawd
gettin' sounds

Post by oyrgawd » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:15 pm

Magic Man, somehow the extra dot in the link takes you to something called Bandzoogle. I found this though: http://www.proaudioheaven.com/home.cfm

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:16 pm

themagicmanmdt wrote:I swear to god.

Go to www.proaudioheaven.com.

Get a ribbon from them.

They're amazing.

I was skeptical at first, but I got a pair of B&O BM-3's, and they sound just like an old RCA! Holy shit, man! Plus, they guarantee the ribbon for a year, free replacement. The BM 3 was the darker mic of the B&O's, but I love it. I sound instantly like the old Beach Boys Smile records.

Call the guy, talk to him, and he'll tell you everything you need to know.

uhhh what?

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:45 am

Is this site just Sank reinvented?????
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:53 am

looks like it is sank...id thought about getting a mic modded by him a while ago, then i heard a few bad stories. wonder if things are any different now?

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:05 pm

I recently sold an M500 on eBay to a guy named Rodger Murphey, and proaudioheaven is his web site. I emailed him saying that it seemed like a shame to reribbon a mic that's in great shape just to do the "DX" mod, and got no answer.

I have a M500 reribboned by Sank and one reribboned by Clarence Kane. I much prefer Clarence's job. Just my opinion.