Just give it to me...I can take it

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

supersockmonkey
gimme a little kick & snare

Just give it to me...I can take it

Post by supersockmonkey » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:15 pm

Just finished a track the other day. Something tells me it doesnt sound right. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I know its a mp3 so its not the best presentation. This is not the final product so i can make changes. The song is called "The Mute Lonesome". Let me have it. http://www.myspace.com/wearethepacific
Last edited by supersockmonkey on Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Ryan*
My Music: www.myspace.com/wearethepacific In crystal clear MP3 format

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:06 am

*BUMP* :cry: hahaha
*Ryan*

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:40 am

We must be great, since i havent hear any complaints hahahaha
*Ryan*

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:21 am

i'll say something. i normally don't. i normally don't go to myspace pages. but forsome reason, there i was.. listening.

as far as i could tell, it must sound how you want it to.. nothing seemed "wrong".. but i don't even get what that would mean.

as far as MY tastes are concerned. the bass guitar seemed to hot. the accoustic guitar sounded very thin. but i do that sometimes also with the accoustic guitar. to use it almost as a percussion thing, verse tone, so i can't say its wrong.

weirdly.. the drums seemed fine, yet. i kept noticing them. i don't know why. my guess would be the kick seemed way way louder then the snare. so it seemed like the snare was mixed back? or the kick was mixed up? i'm not sure. for how quiet the snare was (witch is fine if you ask me, its not a lead type part).. the kick seemed like it over powered everything else. (i don't have a subwoofer)

if anything.. maybe everything was recorded.. to good? but i like me some roomtone, and off micing... so, thats also a my taste thing.

i was listening to "Sambassadeur" (from sweden) before i listened to your song. it seemed very very bass heavy. but i assume the song is unmastered.

panda

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:50 am

pandatone wrote:i'll say something. i normally don't. i normally don't go to myspace pages. but forsome reason, there i was.. listening.

as far as i could tell, it must sound how you want it to.. nothing seemed "wrong".. but i don't even get what that would mean.

as far as MY tastes are concerned. the bass guitar seemed to hot. the accoustic guitar sounded very thin. but i do that sometimes also with the accoustic guitar. to use it almost as a percussion thing, verse tone, so i can't say its wrong.

weirdly.. the drums seemed fine, yet. i kept noticing them. i don't know why. my guess would be the kick seemed way way louder then the snare. so it seemed like the snare was mixed back? or the kick was mixed up? i'm not sure. for how quiet the snare was (witch is fine if you ask me, its not a lead type part).. the kick seemed like it over powered everything else. (i don't have a subwoofer)

if anything.. maybe everything was recorded.. to good? but i like me some roomtone, and off micing... so, thats also a my taste thing.

i was listening to "Sambassadeur" (from sweden) before i listened to your song. it seemed very very bass heavy. but i assume the song is unmastered.

panda
Yeah i understand, i hate myspace. im trying to find other means of posting. As for the song, its just a rough mix and nothing has been mastered yet. I just wanted to get some feedback since im semi new to this. the drums i agree completely (they were done in reason using battery) and i think the bass needs a little rolloff the low end. The bass was recorded with an old gibson semi hollow body bass through a rat & fender super reverb, 1 57 up close and a MC012 room mic then panned hard. All those song that are on that page are all rough and we are going to go back and tweak em a bit (reamping and such) then get them mastered. I thank you for the comments, it helps me learn. if anybody else wants to chime in im all ears.

Cheers!
*Ryan*

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:48 am

supersockmonkey wrote: Yeah i understand, i hate myspace. im trying to find other means of posting.
have you ever thought , you know. of getting a website?
may i suggest hostrocket.com ?

just an idea..

panda

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:42 pm

We have one, just not set up at the moment (waiting for one of our computer geek friends to put together a good one. In the mean time we just have to work with myspace hell.
*Ryan*

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:17 pm

Anybody else have any critiques besides getting a better website? :mrgreen:
*Ryan*

Eriksmusicproduction
audio school graduate

Post by Eriksmusicproduction » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:49 am

Jeez I really liked all the songs, and I don't normally find myself listening to much on myspace. Just playing 10 sec. of each song to find out I don't like it etc.

I actually listened to all 4 songs completely and a couple twice!! Some of the songs vocal chorusing reminds me of some 60's music when musical direction was unknown and exciting.

I really can't comment on the mix/recording too much, I find the mp3 just screws with the sound so bad I wouldn't want to make any judjments.

When are you releasing a cd/demo? I really would like to have a non-mp3 copy.

supersockmonkey

Post by supersockmonkey » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:23 am

Eriksmusicproduction wrote:Jeez I really liked all the songs, and I don't normally find myself listening to much on myspace. Just playing 10 sec. of each song to find out I don't like it etc.

I actually listened to all 4 songs completely and a couple twice!! Some of the songs vocal chorusing reminds me of some 60's music when musical direction was unknown and exciting.

I really can't comment on the mix/recording too much, I find the mp3 just screws with the sound so bad I wouldn't want to make any judjments.

When are you releasing a cd/demo? I really would like to have a non-mp3 copy.
Were not in a huge hurry to make a CD yet, were thinking maybe mid-late this year. We want it to be right, thats why im looking for some feedback. We dont have alot of gear or the best recording conditions and im getting to know my equipment a little better. Im positive they will be pretty good with a couple fixes. I'm glad you dig some of the tunes. All of them are rough mixes and are going to be tweaked a bit and have some re-amping done on some of the instruments that need more life. Ill look into posting them in a different format. Were waiting on our website to get put together, does any body know of a free file hosting site that is not MP3 related in the meantime?
*Ryan*