Oktava MK012 Omni Capsules

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Oktava MK012 Omni Capsules

Post by Jeff White » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:54 am

Opinions?

I obviously have the Cardioid capsules for my MK012s, which I like a lot. However, I feel that picking up the Omnis would be an inexpensive way to expand my mic locker. I see them for $75 each on ebay and from time to time as a matched pair for less than $150 shipped.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jeff

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:40 pm

I have the omnis..though I haven't used them yet..just because they are so new..I'm a big fan of omni and I think having both options is great..especially for a mic like the MK-012..

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Barry Jive » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:23 pm

I actually only have the omnis (long story) but I really like them alot. Not that much attack, no surprise there, but I LOVE them on piano, and I imagine they'd be nice as overheads on the right kit. They're cheap so why not?

-Eric

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:10 pm

Barry Jive wrote:They're cheap so why not?

-Eric
That's kind of what I'm thinking.

Picking up the omni capsules and a second AKG 414B/ULS this spring (c'mon tax refund!!!) is my master plan for mics this year. I have to watch it, since I am saving for a house (aka recording studio).

Jeff

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:07 pm

I love my omni caps for 012. Indespensible for ac guitars and male vocals (w/windscreen of course). Nice balanced response that accurately translates room reflections.

I learned there's a big difference getting your capsules from sound-room.com The quality is notable and each capsule is hand tested and signed off on. Great service. Just my experience. Just an fyi because it looks like you'll pay just as much on ebay.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Cryonicsound
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Cryonicsound » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:59 pm

Does anyone have any experiance using the omni capsules in the context of a spaced pair in front of an ensamble? How did it translate?
------------------------------
Rafi Singer
Cryonic Sound