AT Pro 37's, AT 4060, and Me

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

AT Pro 37's, AT 4060, and Me

Post by TV Lenny » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:44 pm

If you go to myspace, and listen to "Second Glance" you will hear my very rough version of an ambient song.

I recorded this in my home studio using my Martin 000-15S, 2 AT Pro 37's, an AT 4060 Tube Mic, Seventh Circle Audio N72 and A12 Pre, Universal Audio 6176 Channel Strip. The 37's were stereo positioned and the 4060 was a room mic.

This was about a day after purchasing this guitar so the performance is a quick and easy one. What do you think of the recording though?

thanks,
tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:20 pm

I think it sounds great. Are there any effects on the track or is it the room mic giving it that sound?
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi dougo,

Thanks for checking it out and for the response. I do have some slight amount of reverb on the tracks using the Realverb on my UAD card. It isn't much and as I recall (I'd have to pull up the session again) I think it is a small room verb. However, the stereo mics are the main portion of what you hear and of course the room mic is mixed in behind that. Most of the "ambience" you hear is in fact the AT 4060 mic going thru the UA 6176. I didn't need to really put any verb on that track since it already had a bit of natural room sound. Then again, maybe if I revisit the mix I might just do that! Some basic eq and slight compression is about the rest of it.

Even though it is by far not the most expensive nor best sounding Martin guitar, i really like the 15S. My brother sat and played it while I listened to hear what it sounds like when someone else is playing it and it sounds really good. And I am always impressed with the AT 37's. They have become my secret weapon mic. Plus their so inexpensive comparing to other usable mics. Not great for everything but the things they do sound good on I think they do extremely well.

Thanks again,
Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups