Oktava MC/MK012 Users

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Oktava MC/MK012 Users

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:44 pm

Hey folks,

Guitar Center is no longer an Oktava dealer, but they do happen to have 400 of the shockmounts left in the chain. They'll be blowing them out this weekend for 9.99 a piece. Who knows? If you're in good with somebody there, they might be able to do something even more ridiculous than that. Maybe not.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:03 pm

if it's the old ones, they're pretty shitty. rubber bands and whatnot...

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:37 pm

The old Oktava shock mounts are the worst shockmounts that I have ever encountered. Seriously. $9.99 is a complete rip-off.

If you need shocks for SDCs, check out the Sabra-Som shock mounts. http://www.sabrasom.com.br/ Modular system, excellent. I have used them for my 414 B/ULS as well. I've own them for the past four years.

I also recommend http://www.shockmount.com/ for LDCs.

Jeff

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:10 pm

ipressrecord wrote:The old Oktava shock mounts are the worst shockmounts that I have ever encountered. Seriously. $9.99 is a complete rip-off.
+1

We got a ton of these. Figured they were a bargain. They hold the mic secure, but the rubber bands are so light that the 012s are hard to adjust. I would think that with heavier bands they could be much more usable. Anyone got a lead on some really sturdy bands for this purpose?

-James
HWJLHC?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:43 pm

mingus2112 wrote:
ipressrecord wrote:The old Oktava shock mounts are the worst shockmounts that I have ever encountered. Seriously. $9.99 is a complete rip-off.
+1

We got a ton of these. Figured they were a bargain. They hold the mic secure, but the rubber bands are so light that the 012s are hard to adjust. I would think that with heavier bands they could be much more usable. Anyone got a lead on some really sturdy bands for this purpose?
I don't think I've seen these, but usually a shockmount only works if the mic is fairly lightly held. Lock it in there with heavy elastic, and you might as well use a hard clip.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:14 pm

That's it. Those "bands" are not much stronger than a regular elastic band. They're about the size (unstretched) as those elastics you use in your hair. I wasn't thinking of steel cable or anything, but material more like that on better shockmounts could make all the difference there. I've pretty much given up on them. . .but if anyone has suggestions for replacement elastics. . . .
HWJLHC?

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:58 pm

I think we're all shockmount mad. How often do you record a dinosaur?

For reals, if there were actually clips for LD condensors I would probably use them most of the time.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:43 pm

honkyjonk wrote:How often do you record a dinosaur?
Usually it's three or four dinosaurs. . .
HWJLHC?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:04 pm

OK, so how's the build quality aside from the elastic stuff? Decent? You can make your own, you know - just buy some elastic cord at the bead store, and use as many loops as needed to balance the mic while not conducting noise into the mic.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:12 pm

it's just a hard plastic partial tube that holds the mic. . .the metal ring is OK. . .nothing special if i remember correctly.
HWJLHC?

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:30 pm

I use black "no pull" hair bands, small for the little mics, bigs for the bigger mounts and they work BETTER than the stock band you get. I've never had a problem with low end noise getting into the mics with hairbands. They'd have to be really tight to cause problems.
Harumph!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:20 pm

Get this clip for your Oktavas and be done with it...

http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/ ... 2416eec03d

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:51 am

I use these not just for my Oktavas:
http://www.oktava-online.com/sm.htm
They are pretty solid and cheap as well.

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:56 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Get this clip for your Oktavas and be done with it...

http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/ ... 2416eec03d
A Shockmount that's more expensive than the mic!. (I know you were talking about the capsule but the shockmount in the picture is $70.)
Max wrote:I use these not just for my Oktavas:
http://www.oktava-online.com/sm.htm
They are pretty solid and cheap as well.
With conversion before shipping those are $33. They are pretty much the same as the MXL 603/991 mounts. You can talk them down at Banjo Center to less than $20 each. And if the Pro Audio Dept guy says no, go to the Accessories department.

If you really want to be sneaky, get a quote for a really big item along with quotes for the shockmounts, then "change your mind" on the big item. But I would never do anything so mischievous at Banjo Center cuz they treat their customers right. (wink)

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:32 pm

Speaking of the 012, how has everyone's experience been with the quality of the Guitar Center versions? I got one from a former band mate initially, then I bought 2 then a fourth with the 3 Capsule set later on. Guess what?

The Multipattern beats all 3 others by a wide margin. More full and open sounding. Extended lows and highs. Yeah, I know it sounds like a sales brochure, but that is actually the case. This is the mic every one has been talking about. The other three are a different breed altogether. Chinese perhaps? I'm sure we'll never know where they came from. But I seriously doubt they came from Russia.

I haven't open them up to compare, but it's only 11:30 right now. Maybe by tomorrow I'll have something to report.