jon astley Mastering whole album 4 $1000. who else does this

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

jon astley Mastering whole album 4 $1000. who else does this

Post by versuviusx » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:47 pm

ok i read in this magazine that jon astley will master your whole album for $1000.
the website is www.closetotheedge.biz
apparently he's done some serious stuff.
but who else could i send my album to get mastered for under a grand and do a specatacular job. i'd love to get a list of people i could send material to and pick out the best guy for the job.

chris ryan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by chris ryan » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:11 pm

tons of places.

john golden and west west side come to mind.
i think john golden is 600-700 bucks for 45 minutes.

darkhorseporter
ass engineer

Post by darkhorseporter » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:04 pm

joe lambert at trutone has $1000/day indie rates

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:37 pm

I expect to pay between $500 and $1500 for mastering, depending on how much of a budget the project has. The engineers that I use are used to working on my stuff so we both know what to expect. That's kind of priceless to me.

On the other hand, am I the only one who have Jon Astley's records from back in the day? "Been There Done That"? "Jane's Getting Serious"?

Roger

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:12 pm

$1000 for pro mastering is kinda an average price, in my experience, really.
A little more sometimes, a little less, others. At least at "indie rates".
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Another you might want to look into, which was just brought up again recently in another thread, is Carl Saff ( http://www.saffmastering.com/ ).
I'm not sure about his rates, but Massive Mastering ( http://messageboard.tapeop.com/profile. ... ile&u=4503 ) seems to be easy enough to talk to that you could easily find out, and probably learn a hell of lot about mastering in the process.

There's also a nice list here: http://www.tapeop.com/links/masteringstudios.php

Sorry if that wasn't exactly what you were looking for...I have yet to have any first hand experience to give personal recommendations. I'm hoping to put together something I'm happy enough with to take to http://www.silversonya.com/ some day.
I own a ton of the recordings they've mastered and couldn't be happier as a listener. The actual people playing the music on the albums don't hurt that either.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:13 pm

nlmd311 wrote: I'm not sure about his rates, but Massive Mastering ( http://messageboard.tapeop.com/profile. ... ile&u=4503 ) seems to be easy enough to talk to that you could easily find out, and probably learn a hell of lot about mastering in the process.
Yeah, and I'm normally under $1,000 (sometimes considerably under) for a full-length. :crazy:
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:28 pm

Good suggestions here. I've had records done by Carl Saff and JJ Golden and they both do great work. Carl is about the best bargin I've ever seen for quality work. I've seen John from Massive posting for years and he has a good rep. Brad Blackwood at Euphonic in Memphis is probably in the same $1000 or less catagory and he does great work. Colin Jordan at the Boiler Room in Chicago is also good, he's done a couple things for me, both under a grand. Doug at Gravity in Chicago is also quite talented.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:10 pm

Just about everything we do goes through Doug Van Sloun at studio B here in Omaha. He's pretty darn good and doesn't charge a lot. Plus, he's a super dude.

Ian

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:19 am

drumsound is too kind. Thanks Tony!

To the original poster... there are dozens of great MEs who can do an LP for less than $1000. Look at the credits on your favorite records and make some calls for pricing.

Also, I highly recommend requesting a sample track from several MEs. This is another great way to see who would be best-suited to the project.

Good luck!
Carl
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

fmartin
audio school graduate

Post by fmartin » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:46 pm

David Glasser, Airshow Mastering, Boulder, Colorado.

Great guy, great ears. From his site: "He is a three-time Grammy nominee and has earned 2 Grammy awards for mastering and restoration of the culturally significant Anthology of American Folk Music (1997) and Screamin? and Hollerin? the Blues: The Worlds of Charley Patton (2002)."
Buzzz, buzz, buzz, I wonder why he does.

BJohnston
ass engineer

Post by BJohnston » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:44 am

Dave Collins is another guy whose really reasonable.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:45 am

Pretty much ANY mastering facility will do a project for this rate. It's what's called 'one pass mastering'. Don't expect tweaks or fixes after the fact if this is all you pay though.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:48 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Pretty much ANY mastering facility will do a project for this rate. It's what's called 'one pass mastering'. Don't expect tweaks or fixes after the fact if this is all you pay though.
you can get great mastering TO YOUR SATISFACTION from several great MEs for less than $1000.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:54 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:Pretty much ANY mastering facility will do a project for this rate. It's what's called 'one pass mastering'. Don't expect tweaks or fixes after the fact if this is all you pay though.
you can get great mastering TO YOUR SATISFACTION from several great MEs for less than $1000.
I say this citing the 'gift horse' theory though. They are already giving a breakneck rate- why rape them?

People don't necessarily deserve a low rate. A relationship of mutual respect is better to maintain a solid work atmosphere.