Neotek Console

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Neotek Console

Post by TV Lenny » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:09 pm

[/img]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... eID=622286

Hopefully I did the image correct. I am recapping my board right now and haven't been able to fire it up fully. It needs caps as to be expected but sounds great! I've gotten in touch with Mike at Sytek regarding any info on the series one consoles. There pretty much isn't any.

I'm just looking for others who have Neoteks, especially Series 1's. I can't wait to get everything up and going. I'm gonna have Sytek rebuild the power supply and like I said I am doing all the caps. Then gotta do patchbay, wiring, blah blah,...

My goal is to essentially use the console to sum out of Digital Performer and mix down to my Sony APR 5002. But I'm going to patch so I can use the pre's for whatever too of course.

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:31 pm

for the image do the [] around img in front of this address: http://myspace-286.vo.llnwd.net/01292/6 ... 8286_l.jpg, then put the brackets around /img to end the link. it will look like this:
Image that way it is a direct link to the image as well and not one that requires a myspace login to view it.

furthermore. neoteks rock. me likey. You'll be very happy with the series one once you invested the time and $ into cleaning it up. great eq's for sure. good luck with finding more info!

colby

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:45 pm

Thanks Colby! Makes it much easier!

Mike at Sytek was extremely helpful and I'll be taking a little tour of their shop soon. The nice thing is I have access to caps and such through my work so it didn't cost me too much for the spec'd caps. I'm sure I'll need to replace switches here and there but I guess thats part of using a console! :roll:

The pre's in the board sound fantastic! So does the eq even though it's not the four band version. The nice thing is the channels are socketed and not cabled and the connections on the back are the XLR & balanced 1/4". Wiring the patchbay(s) will be some work but Mr. Patchbay has some great stuff. I'm gonna go with the TT bays.

Anyone else with Neoteks please post your pics!! I'd love to see 'em.

Take care,
Tom

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:27 pm

Here's a list dedicated to all things Neotek (a nicer, more knowledgeable group would be hard to find):

http://www.analogbros.com/neotek/listinfo.html

Cheers,
--
Don

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:29 am

Here's a picture of me at drumsound's Neotek Elan (at Oxide Lounge Recording in Bloomington, Ill.):

And here's a few of me at the Neotek Elite at Electrical Audio in Chicago:

I love the little Electrical Audio logos silk-screened at the top of every channel:

I also dig the Flying Faders screened the same finish as the console itself.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:57 am

that's a lot like my Series I, except mine was a 16 x 8 x 8 x 2 with 8 LED meters and a pair of VU's for the L/R bus.

unlike yours, however, mine was the earlier model that had solid buss wire running through every module and consaequently it made maintenance a gigantic ball ache. also, the wiring Neotek used between modules and the connectors on the back panel (inputs, inserts, group outs, etc) was solid core wire, and not the (infinitely more reliable) stranded - another black mark against the early ones!

i loved mine while it was working well, but it became too much of a hassle to fix little things ( the solid buss wire does not make it easy to get into)and not enough inputs so it eventually got mothballed.

it's a great sounding board, not a lot of headroom on the mix buss but if you familiarize yourself with how to drive it, you'll get great results. beefing up the power supply is recommended, that will give you more headroom and better low end. there are also mods you can do to the input/group/2-mix sections to improve the sonics, as well as minor mods to be able to accomodate more modern op amps if you like (lots of TL074's inside a stock Series I/II/III). i don't really mind the TL074's on the inputs, but on the 2-mix it's worth looking at a more updated op amp. the nice thing about the Neoteks is that the design was pretty straightforward and simple and so it's an ideal candidate for upgrading.

i was fortunate enough to get a lot of notes from someone (very knowledgable) who had gone through some extensive research in updating a Series II (nearly identical to the Series I) - there's a lot that can be done to tweak it out, but i am sure Mike at Sytek can advise you as well.
fremitus wrote:for the image do the [] around img in front of this address: http://myspace-286.vo.llnwd.net/01292/6 ... 8286_l.jpg, then put the brackets around /img to end the link. it will look like this:
Image that way it is a direct link to the image as well and not one that requires a myspace login to view it.

furthermore. neoteks rock. me likey. You'll be very happy with the series one once you invested the time and $ into cleaning it up. great eq's for sure. good luck with finding more info!

colby

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:59 pm

ah yes, show 'em!

that's ours at Northern Track. pic from a couple of years ago, but the board looks the same. it's an Elite II, fun times. The Mastermix automation on it has been disconnected, cuz it sucks. ;)

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:39 pm

My heavily modified 28-channel Series II right before I built a small control room and moved it.

Cheers,
--
Don

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:30 am

Nice pics! Thanks for the mailing list. I joined one group a while back but it never quite worked right. I couldn't post, ect.

Keep them coming!

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:15 pm

Here's something that may be of use to someone now or in the future. May as well post it here and make it more accessible. Another Neotek Elite owner passed this on to me some time ago and it has been VERY useful. It's basically a troubleshooting guide based on all of the repairs and issues that he had over 15 years of ownership.

Neotek Troubleshooting Guide

This is for an Elite specifically, but if anyone has one, just download this and keep it around. You'l need it eventually, and it WILL save you a headache or two to figure out issues quickly.

Colby

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:00 pm

You might want to contact Soren Wittrop at CS Electronics in Chicago. He knows these and has several mods if desired.