Anyone have a hobby they like better than recording?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:31 pm

I used to enjoy learning about computers, but now they just piss me off.
Yep, music and recording are my favorite hobbies.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:07 pm

strat0tele wrote:I used to enjoy learning about computers, but now they just piss me off.
There was a widely reported study last week in the news about computer use: They said the average married person spends more time with his/her computer than his/her spouse, and that the average person spends twelve hours a week managing little computer problems. These figures didn't really surprise me given my current endeavors. We have become a nation of amateur system admins. Sad.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:58 pm

strat0tele wrote:I used to enjoy learning about computers, but now they just piss me off.
Haha. Amen. Ironic about the computer thang -- goes so well with recording, no?

I DJ on WXDU, listen to music on that and WXYC and a couple of other stations in the area.

Cook once in awhile (although not as much as I used to -- my wife is a fabulous cook: makes it hard to compete).

The perfect cup of coffee was made in a press-pot.

Some graphic design.

I work in a library, which although not a hobby is representative of my aesthetic of info-pimpery.

Video-games. I won Sonic the Hedgehog and Quake I. I haven't found any that really captivated me the way those two have. But I don't put too much time into it, because I eat them compulsively like novels and the rest of my life gets put on hold, which is kind of a bad thing.

Oh yeah, reading. I used to be all fiction when I was younger, but I find myself reading mostly non-fiction these days. Academic books about music are pr'y my fave.

And blogging and TOMB. Yeah.

Cosmic Closet
audio school

Post by Cosmic Closet » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:06 am

....well, I work as a broadcast videographer so between taping bands and generally being around gear for a living, I don't get too far away from the recording aspect. But at home, in addition to playing and recording:

Cooking.
Watching classic films, both on DVD and in 16mm (trust me, it ain't the cost of the projectors that will ruin you, it is getting complete prints of great films :shock: :lol: )
Some photography, which combined with long walks in nature is my kind of therapy.

Best,
CC.
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:59 am

my life's work is making music. i just wait tables and bartend as a hobby.

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com

stoneman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stoneman » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:36 am

i make surfboards by day and do oil paintings and record my little guitars and brainsounds for a hobbies. i'm not getting rich but i'm satisfied, except when i'm not....
one thing thats difficult is carving out time for my hobbies and feeling like i have to justify it to wife and kid. it is a balancing game i guess. clean the f-ing house , cook dinner, so i can stay up until 3am in my recording shed in the backyard. then drag myself out of bed at 7 to help with baby duites. life keeps happening.

hughmanatee
gettin' sounds

Post by hughmanatee » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:06 pm

i started recording as a hobby, it still is, but its also a job now. i also cook at a local restaraunt once in a while. but i like to read, watch movies, smoke weed with my friends, drink beer, and add to my hot sauce collection. but i remember when it hapened, recording wasnt what i was thinking about when i was working, because i was recording. i suppose my number one hobby now is daydreaming about making millions of dollars off these bands that come in and are like ok were gunna do 5 songs one pass then boot out. dont get me wrong i love what i d and i would never give it up, i actually still record as a hobby. a lot of friends of mine rap so i record their vocals and make the beats Bump

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:19 pm

I long for the day that audio was a hobby.

In any case, put me on a motorcycle in the forest or some mountains and I'll forget all about compression and EQ in a few thousand RPM's.

Unless we're riding across northern Wisconsin to see the guys at Crane Song (like THIS RIDE -- regrettably, no shots from Crane Song on that trip, but there are plenty linked from the "Photos" page at the MM site). :lol:

But the good part about that is you can deduct the mileage.

It's kinda funny - Years ago, my "personal" web site was my business web site. Now, it's pretty much all about my bike. Wish I had more throttle time... :cry:

(EDIT) Not that I don't enjoy my job... :crazy:
Last edited by MASSIVE Mastering on Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:38 pm

I like traveling/hiking. This summer I'll be backpacking through Europe, from Rome to London. I've been all over the country, it's time to tackle the world :D. I record almost constantly, like 80+ hours a week, so there is little time to develop any other talents. So when I do something else, it's time requested off, and I had better get out of town or the phone calls start coming.

Oh yeah, I like to tinker with electronics, too.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:51 am

I've been a musician most of my life. I got my first drumsticks and practice pad when I was 3. Recording grew out of that. Music has never been a hobby; it's always been something inside me.

A couple years ago I was thinking about the fact that I didn't have a hobby. I socialized with friends. My wife and I have dogs that need attention and walks, so I did things besides music, but still no hobby.

Then the TV Poker boom happened. I used to play a bit as a kid with my Dad and brother. Then in college some buddies and I played, but when the stakes grew I dropped out (I'm 25% Bohemian and we're typically frugal people, I'd rather not loose money when I could save it for gear...). When poker became big on TV I started watching, then I started playing online, and some home games. I mostly play with the "free money" (esp since that bastard Bill Frist screwed everything up...). It's a nice diversion that keeps my brain working.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:59 am

stoneman wrote:i make surfboards by day
Do you make 'em for sale? If so, I'm on a lifelong quest for a cool looking customized squash-tail egg. If I had that, and some decent waves, I don't think I'd ever touch recording gear again.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:47 am

karate is pretty cool. but i've been sick lately and stopped.

i just realized i haven't knitted anything in forever lately either.

i guess i've been spending all my time trying to figure out how to make web pages.

or being sick or something.

oh. and writing songs about being poisoned :)
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Hobby?

Post by nopenopenope » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:07 pm

My hobby is missing you, Jeff. Missing you. And girls. Props to whoever said that.

But seriously, I love to read and write poetry. I used to try to song write, but lo and behold, I am terrible. I also enjoy dabbling in really pretentious experimental music... not to be pretentious, but just to work out whatever I'm feeling.

and since I've transferred schools, I've actually been able to make my major my hobby. I used to go to school with the starter of this thread - but the program there just wasn't working for me. I've since come down to MTSU for the Production and Technology major and am enjoying it loads more. My GPA shows it too: i'm in the running for a 4.0 versus my 2.5 @ my old school (got in A in recording arts 1, though). That's right, folks. I actually like school. Every day I wake up and go to class and enjoy it. I must be crazy.

And I swear - as soon as i can, i'm going to start brewing my own beer. It just seems like a great, relaxing thing. plus i could eventually brew things to tailor them specifically to the meal i'm making.

LVC_Jeff
gettin' sounds

Post by LVC_Jeff » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:40 pm

Haha thanks Josh. I got an A in Recording I as well.

I may have to try some of that beer you will eventually brew...I've always wanted home-brewed beer. Maybe I'll try it myself, too.
Jeff- Music Recording Technology Student at LVC

Skinny Shamrock Recording- http://www.myspace.com/skinnyshamrockrecording

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:35 pm

I actually have a lot of hobbies. Mostly photography, riding my bike and watching old films. And chasing girls and wandering the city drunk, of course.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dokushoka/