Pot Cleaning....again

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Drumbeast
pluggin' in mics

Pot Cleaning....again

Post by Drumbeast » Sat May 17, 2003 10:02 pm

The subject of fader/pot cleaning comes up all the time, but my question is, when cleaning dirty pots, how does one go about it? I've never done it, and from what i know about pots they are sealed. How does one go about getting the contact cleaner in there? And some suggestions on your favorite cleaner would be great.

markpar
george martin

Re: Pot Cleaning....again

Post by markpar » Sat May 17, 2003 10:48 pm

Caig DeoxIT and PreservIT. All the way.

For faders, you can usually just spray some in there and move the fader up and down several times.

For pots, I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but what I usually do is spray some cleaner where the shaft enters the post and work the shaft back and forth. After a bit, the cleaner usually sinks in.

-mark

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat May 17, 2003 10:54 pm

Not all pots are sealed. Most pots used in guitars are quite well-ventilated, actually! Try Caig's "CaiLube MCL".
Sealed pots are a different story...sometimes you can get some lube to work its way in through the shaftway, sometimes not.

jt

edit: DeoxIT and PresevIT are more for metal surfaces...MCL is for conductive plastic/carbon usually found in pots and faders.
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun May 18, 2003 2:43 am

markpar wrote:Caig DeoxIT and PreservIT. All the way.

For faders, you can usually just spray some in there and move the fader up and down several times.

For pots, I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but what I usually do is spray some cleaner where the shaft enters the post and work the shaft back and forth. After a bit, the cleaner usually sinks in.

-mark
uh huh huh huh..you said..work the shaft..huh..huh..back and forth..

thatwas..cool

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Sun May 18, 2003 8:04 am

DeOxit is great for pots, but NEVER use it for faders. I learned this the hard way.

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Sun May 18, 2003 10:17 am

The best way to clean a pot is to open the back panel of the guitar to get to the electronics. Most pots will have at least a small opening on them, spray the DeOxit in there and then move the pot's shaft back and forth. Spraying it on the front of the guitar where the shaft meets the body of the guitar can help some, but to clean out the pot you have to get to the body of it, not just the shaft. Inside is where the dust and therefore problems are.

-doc

clodock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by clodock » Sun May 18, 2003 11:04 am

well, because the seeds weigh more than the buds and have less traction on a piece of paper, dumping the bag out on a magazine or something and slowly rocking it side to side while on an angle will sometimes get the little headache inducers to roll right off the page while the plants stay put.

of course you can avoid the problem by buying only high quality, oh, you meant...

clodock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by clodock » Sun May 18, 2003 11:05 am

well, because the seeds weigh more than the buds and have less traction on a piece of paper, dumping the bag out on a magazine or something and slowly rocking it side to side while on an angle will sometimes get the little headache inducers to roll right off the page while the plants stay put.

of course you can avoid the problem by buying only high quality, oh, you meant...

Drumbeast
pluggin' in mics

Post by Drumbeast » Sun May 18, 2003 10:29 pm

Can anyone tell me which one would be best for faders?
http://shopping.netledger.com/app/site/ ... gory.22/.f

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Mon May 19, 2003 9:03 am

Most likely the Cailube MCL. Definitely not deOxit!

As for techniques... I see you're in Newburgh. I drive through there every day. You supply a couple of cold ones, and I'd be happy to stop by and show ya how to clean pots. It's easy, but it's a lot easier to show than to try to describe.

Drumbeast
pluggin' in mics

Post by Drumbeast » Mon May 19, 2003 6:38 pm

Where are you comming from Dave? Or going to? I record in a place at the intersection of 300 and 52. I accauly live in Washingtonville...a town which most people dont know about. I'm gonna get some of the Cailube MCL, but which bottle should i get. The one with the long thin tip looks good but which one do you suggest?

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Tue May 20, 2003 9:20 am

Is that near the dreaded "five corners?" On the way home, I'm heading north.

For pots, I recommend DeOxit D5 5% spray. For faders, the Cailube MCL 5% spray would probably be best. They don't show it in the photos, but those cans always come with little nozzle tubes. The 100% MCL in the squeeze tube would be handy if your faders need a little more lube after cleaning.

Drumbeast
pluggin' in mics

Post by Drumbeast » Tue May 20, 2003 10:21 pm

No i'm not, and thank god for that! I have enough trouble with noise from the Dairy Queen praking lot while recording. On our new Cd between songs you can hear Hondas driving by blasting music. Its accaulty kinda cool

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat May 24, 2003 7:31 am

Speaking of faders,

Any of you guys/gals know about a thing called "silglide" or some such.??

I need to find a good heavy dielectric lube for conductive plastic, old p&g typre faders. I clean them with an eraser, then need a way to lube the wipers, and bar that the fader rides on. Any suggestions for getting all the faders to "feel" the same?

i.e. same amount of resistance throughout the entire length of motion...

I cant remember what I used 10 years ago the last time I did this. I need to write stuff down....