Recording a Voicemail Message out of PT through Phone Patch

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Recording a Voicemail Message out of PT through Phone Patch

Post by jonnymo » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm

(Disclaimer: This doesn't pertain to recording music or instruments but to a specialized subset of recording audio. If I should be posting this somewhere else ? either in another section of the Tape Op forum, or in another forum altogether ? please let me know and I'll move it. Thanks.)

I am attempting to record a new voicemail message (voice with music background) for my studio by playing it out of Pro Tools LE through a Digi 002 into a Gentner SPH10 analog telephone hybrid, which is plugged directly into one of the 002's outputs. All the messages that I'm recording come back sounding both too quiet AND distorted. I know there's going to be a certain amount of distortion in the recording no matter what, since it's coming over the phone, but there seems to be in particular an extra high-end ?sizzle? audible over the whole pre-recorded message that is different from what one hears when listening to regular recorded messages.

Here's what I have tried to address the problem:
- compressing / limiting the recording in PT
- bringing the volume up / down in PT
- cutting out all the highs above 10 kHz or so (I don't remember the exact frequency, I EQ'ed it to sound like it was coming from a telephone line )
- recording the message by holding a phone up to one of the studio monitors instead of playing out of PT

I googled the junk out of this a few weeks ago...found out from http://docs.voxeo.com/voicexml/2.0/fram ... ormats.htm that telephony uses 8 kHz, 8-bit audio, and that automated phone response systems typically store their messages as audio files at this bit and sample rate. I considered converting the recordings to 8 kHz / 8-bit before playing them into the Gentner, but it doesn't seem like that would make a difference because I am recording the message to the voicemail via the phone line, as opposed to uploading a file that the system would play back.

So I guess what I'm wondering is: is there some kind of ?trick? to playing a pre-recorded message into a voicemail system that someone here might know about?

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:07 am

I have no experience with a Gentner SPH10 but could you be overloading that? Could it be broken? Or maybe the system is optimized for a person speaking directly into a telephone? That's all I got.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:54 pm

Just after posting that last comment, I thought of something. but the board went down so now that it's back up...Is the Gentner supposed to have another Gentner on the other end to work properly? I don't know if that's how they work or not, but it seems like common sense that that type system would probably not work right single ended.

needlz
audio school

Post by needlz » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:58 pm

Aiit... this isn't a simple solution but many of us phone geeks use our own PBXs at home. Using a $60 old P3 desktop, a $40 analog telephony card, and a free linux distro of asterisk ( http://www.trixbox.org/ ) a world of voicemail possibilities opens up to you. I recently went to the eTel 2007 conference and heard the director of architecture at MySQL talk about the system he put in place for telemarketers... when a telemarketer calls he press *45 which fires an audio file of a SCREAMING monkey to the shocked telemarketer. The system them logs the callerID so everytime a call comes from that source the same audio file is played. Fargin' awesome. You can stream audio files as hold music, create a text to speech / speech recognition verion of Zork as a game for people on hold, interface any hardware in your house with your phone, etc, etc...

asterisk.org

needlz
audio school

Post by needlz » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:01 pm

The vm audio files are usually 8bit / 8khz / uLaw... uLaw being the factor you might be overlooking. Get an audio conversion app that supports uLaw exporting.