Your band on the radio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Your band on the radio

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:24 am

This is the result of a 7 year investigation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01286.html

I'm not sure 'block programming' is the answer. The 3-year schedule for this make good to independent musicians and small labels by corporate owners of radio is a little suspect too. What indie labels and artists need are spins that will be tracked and accounted for by industry trade publications. At this time the only spins tracked by a publication such as Radio and Records have to come paid through an indie promoter. In other words, an unannounced, paid advertisement.

Thoughts?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:56 am

i liked this paragraph the best:

Andy Levin, Clear Channel's executive vice president, said in a statement that his company has "devoted tremendous resources" to preventing payola at its stations. "While no violations were found," he said, "we are pleased to announce that Clear Channel has agreed to settle this longstanding payola investigation with the FCC. We believe it is time to close the door on this ongoing inquiry and move forward."

SUUUUURE you did.

i dunno if anything will actually come of it, but it certainly seems like good news, no?

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:36 am

7 year investigation...

I guess this is the latest cycle. Its been going on since radio started broadcasting music. I don't think these slaps on the wrist will keep any of it from happening in the future.

They will think of some other way to line the pockets of the right ppl, and it will take 3 years to discover it, then we will start another 7 year investigation...
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:00 am

interesting...
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:14 am

Not like Clear Channel has been doing too well lately. :P

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickc ... &x=28&y=17

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:59 pm

karma is a beautiful thing.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:57 pm

There was a great piece on NPR Talk of the Nation today about this issue. One of the guests was a guy who wrote a book on the history of music and radio and he made the point that the major radio station conglomerates are in full panic mode because they are losing their young listeners to the internet. Radio is becoming less and less important in the music scene and there's virtually no buzz going on anymore with radio.

Radio is still a force in C&W but for the rock scene it is becoming irrelevant. New acts are breaking more on the internet than on radio. For this reason he said that the companies didn't fight too hard on this settlement because they know they have to change if they are going to survive.

This got me to thinking and I realized that nobody I know who is interested in finding new music hardly ever listens to the radio. I listen to NPR but I almost never listen to a music station. How many times have you encountered a teenager or twenty-something listening to music on the radio? The Clear Channel chart is very revealing and supports what this guy was saying.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:03 pm

kinda like the grammies.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:06 pm

8th_note wrote:There was a great piece on NPR Talk of the Nation today about this issue. One of the guests was a guy who wrote a book on the history of music and radio and he made the point that the major radio station conglomerates are in full panic mode because they are losing their young listeners to the internet. Radio is becoming less and less important in the music scene and there's virtually no buzz going on anymore with radio.

Radio is still a force in C&W but for the rock scene it is becoming irrelevant. New acts are breaking more on the internet than on radio. For this reason he said that the companies didn't fight too hard on this settlement because they know they have to change if they are going to survive.

This got me to thinking and I realized that nobody I know who is interested in finding new music hardly ever listens to the radio. I listen to NPR but I almost never listen to a music station. How many times have you encountered a teenager or twenty-something listening to music on the radio? The Clear Channel chart is very revealing and supports what this guy was saying.
Have you listened too commercial radio? Noone listens because it's the same few songs over and over. The Entercom "alternative" station in Kansas City is a big ball of crap. They do have a local show, on Sunday night. Who sits around Sunday night listening to the radio.

treble king
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by treble king » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:31 am

Admittedly these are public radio stations, but The Current (89.3) in Minneapolis is pretty sweet, and the local (to me) Mankato college station KMSU (89.7) is good much of the time.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that The Schmoejoes will be on KMSU on the 22nd promoting our show at the Kato Ballroom on the 23rd. ;)

Clear Channel is dead. So many media delivery industries act like the world stands still, like people don't age, and the internet doesn't exist.

Oh well, I won't weep at their passing...
I'm in for two, and I can pay.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:04 am

8th_note wrote:This got me to thinking and I realized that nobody I know who is interested in finding new music hardly ever listens to the radio. I listen to NPR but I almost never listen to a music station. How many times have you encountered a teenager or twenty-something listening to music on the radio? The Clear Channel chart is very revealing and supports what this guy was saying.
This is why I got into satellite radio. The market I live in is pretty much owned by Clear Channel and one regional goliath. All but 4 stations in town are fully automated robo-stations that just relay a satellite feed. The local "new rock station" plays Better Than Ezra and Guitar Center spots more than it plays current releases.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:10 am

personally, i've gotten pretty into podcasting. partly because i do one. but also because there's something for everyone. it's cool that there's so much out there. on the most seemingly obscure things. like, example...i've recently developed allergies to EVERYTHING. (sewer gas poisoning) and there's podcasts for people like THAT. it's like it would be HARD to find people locally with the same problem. but on a global scale, it's not hard at all. AND it's cheaper than satellite. (i still haven't broken down and purchased an ipod)
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:12 pm

Important to note, here are the potential new rules of engagement for independent labels and artists dealing with Corporate radio:

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=363937

I spoke with Richard Bengloff this past week at A2IM (to belong, you need to pay them 10% of your labels annual income or a minimum of $1200). I asked him if this 8400 hour provision was just for A2IM members and he claimed it was not. Then he stated that they are trying to make it appealing for entities to join A2IM. Currently, they are also pursuing an anti-trust suit against Kazaa. He said since the major labels already won their lawsuit against Kazaa, then A2IM should be able to win theirs too- but you can't benefit from the settlement unless you join A2IM. Interesting. Join for thousands to get pennies in return. Someone is really working the media on this one. I wish it wasn't just A2IM pursuing this stuff. They sound like a new major label represetning many labels instead of just one- sort of.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:20 am

wow. that is MESSED up! it's bizarre how all these organization are like trojan horses. they wear the independent label. but they're just trying to follow in the footsteps of the same tired paradigm while claiming to be holier than thou.

kinda like the podshow music network in podcasting. the whole purpose of forming it was to leverage advertising dollars.

the problem with the whole paradigm is that everyone gets paid before the artists. THAT is what needs to change.

not the name.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net