Back in the saddle

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Back in the saddle

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:43 pm

Hey All,
It's been a long time, so please bear with me if you don't have a clue as to who I am. For those that do remember me, uh, I got nothin' really. Here it goes though...

I have been using a D-112 on the back head of the kick for some time, and recently ported my front head and moved the mic there. I was looking into getting the mic that lays flat inside the kick drum (the name escapes me at the moment), so I was wondering if anyone could give a thumbs up or down before I go blow my hard earned poor white boy cash on it. There you have it...

-LP4KB
Just trying to get through life without looking stupid! Not workin' out so far for me...

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:07 am

Maybe you were thinking about the Shure Beta 91?

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:18 am

Yes that is the one. Any thoughts on whether it is a decent mic, or should I stick to my D-112? Or any thoughts on other techniques I ca use to get more of the attack from the kick? I am trying to clean it up so it doesn't sound so mudded up. I have some 57's and 58's (neither really I think should be used for a kick, but if you know something I don't, let me know), some A/T digitial mics, and a A/T drum mic package that I don't know if I have ever used. I am kind of in a bare bones set up as you can tell.

-LP4KB
Just trying to get through life without looking stupid! Not workin' out so far for me...

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:29 am

Sennheiser evolution e902 is another I was looking at as well. It's a little cheaper but it doesn't seem to compare much with the AKG. I don't know, maybe I am just over thinking the whole thing and should just try some different things with what I have already. Like I said, if any you guys got an idea of something I should try let me know.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:59 am

yr talking about the A/T 4-pack? that kick mic never blew me away but it can't hurt to try - i always liked it best on the resonant head (although that's not really an "attack heavy" kind of sound)
the tom mics can be snare friendly...
Village Idiot.

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:38 pm

I have been getting some decent punch out of the kit now that I have ported the head. It's just missing that click fromt he beater hitting the head I like to hear. I thought about micing both sides at a cross axis to avoid phase canx. I will try the resonant head for sure.
I haven't tried the tom mics on the snares just yet, I think I may tinker around with that tonight maybe. Eat a handful and see what happens know what I mean? Just want to dial it in soon. It's a new room I'm in at Sound Asylum in Interbay district of Seattle, and it's pretty boxy inside. The rest of the drums sound great in there. It's also a new kit, so some of that has thrown me off. I went from the Premier Arista to a Gretch Catalina (5 peice, good rounded out sounding toms, perfect for multi-genre recording) and a Tama Artwood snare (7"x12" 10 lug, it's the most beautiful snare sound I have ever been able to get).

Thanks for the tips on the tom mics, and I'll try some different stuff from outside the shell as well.

-LP4KB

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:03 am

I do live sound professionally and recording semi-pro so take my words with a grain of salt. Its fairly common in live sound to use a combination of the Beta 91 and a Beta 52 (or D112 etc) on the kick. The Beta 91 placed inside (obviously) and the Beta 52 usually at the sound hole. The 91 will generally handle a bulk of the kick sound and the Beta 52 will provide the bottom. My mileage has varied quite a bit depending on drummer and kit but I am quite happy in general.

Also regarding using 58's and 57's on the kick. They will work but sometimes you just have to tweak a bit more. Joel did the last Dub Trio with a 57 on the kick.

KilledByAlbany
takin' a dinner break

Post by KilledByAlbany » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:58 am

The best kick sound I have ever gotten was an old 5" Gorilla guitar amp speaker as a "subkick" on the front, and one of those cheapo Audio Technica headset microphones taped to a small mic stand on the beater side, with the null aimed at the snare. This boggled my mind as I had originally set it up almost as a joke. But whatever works, works.

Next time I have some time with that same kit, I'm seriously considering making a .gog of it.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:34 pm

Audix D6 is a great one. Sounds good with many placements. I have had a D112 and find the D6 much more versatile.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:10 pm

lastpicked4kickball wrote:Image
Sennheiser evolution e902 is another I was looking at as well. It's a little cheaper but it doesn't seem to compare much with the AKG. I don't know, maybe I am just over thinking the whole thing and should just try some different things with what I have already. Like I said, if any you guys got an idea of something I should try let me know.
Joel Hamilton swears by the e602.

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:56 am

I am going to pick up the e602 and the d6, test them against eachother, who ever wins lives. The other gets either returned or bunred on a stake. Probably returned.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:57 am

PeterAuslan wrote:. Joel did the last Dub Trio with a 57 on the kick.
I did the last dub trio with an E602 in the kick.

One of the songs "table rock dub" has an e602 in the kick, and a FET 47 about 4 feet out from the resonant head.

That was the only one with a specific "outside kick" mic.

The rest of the whole record was just the E602.

I love that mic for kick these days.

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:05 am

My mistake about the 57 but I'm sure that you posted some songs a while back and said that you used a 57 on the kick maybe it was a different project?

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:09 am

I just found the post it was Shango Axe with one member of Dub Trio.

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:28 pm

just to reinforce what someone said before, I'd explore the option of putting up two mics, one on the beater and one on the resonant side, and blending to taste. I'm sure trying some different mics and placement with that (if you have the available channels) will bring up some better results. As always, check for phase issues/exploit phase issues, etc.
off somewhere listening.