55 seconds of polite noise

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

sears
steve albini likes it

55 seconds of polite noise

Post by sears » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:08 am

"Adelicate" is atypical power trio wank. Download from site or Myspace.

I appreciated the comments I got on the last thing a few months ago.

http://vauntedrecords.com/adelicate2.mp3

http://myspace.com/maskedsuperstar

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:04 pm

cool song. like the sounds too. main thing i can hear is that the drums seem just a shade too roomy to pull into the other stuff.
Village Idiot.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:40 am

Those drums were sent to me by TOMBer Darrill from Miami. He wav'd and yousended me his kit, a few hits of each instrument, and I sliced it into my MPC.

The downside is the ambience stacks on top of each other with every sample. That means I have to be careful with programming and compression re noise.

The upside is I have terrific sounding drums after using the SR-16 for six albums.

Would anyone like to record a drum kit for me?

brainfreezebob
gettin' sounds

Post by brainfreezebob » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:54 am

I gotta say, I like the super roomy drums quite a bit. The snare decay is bonkers. Song-wise, it's a total cock tease when it starts to get dance-able (with that little funk guitar riff), but then falls back apart. Less art, more ass shaking!

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:17 pm

no, more art! more art! turn the dance floor into an epileptic convention!
Village Idiot.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:37 pm

brainfreezebob wrote:I gotta say, I like the super roomy drums quite a bit. The snare decay is bonkers...
Matt has been doing amazingly cool things with the samples I sent him. I can't comment on what he has done to tweak them, but he has only made them sound better. All off the samples were recorded off of a 1965 (red sparkle, because you know that makes a difference :wink: ) Ludwig Club Date with the original heads. The floor tom is a cheap-o 14" Torodor brand drum that came with the set, that I really like. The main reason the snare sounds even more roomy is because there was a set of 42-strand snares on it at the time and one was broken at one end. I bent the broken one slightly so that it would make really light contact with the head and it vibrates longer than the rest. The rest of the snares are pretty loose as well. Kind of a built in reverb...

Ask him to send you more if you like the link above... He has tendency to hold out!

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...