hooray for O.O.B. Supermarkets

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

hooray for O.O.B. Supermarkets

Post by floid » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:06 am

first of all, yes. there is a reason for this being in gear talk. just bear with me.
the other night after i hit up the chinese dumpster for eggrolls, i decided to walk on down the alley instead of heading back onto the sidewalk... and found a cracked open door w/ the lights on... which turned out to be the back entrance to what was formerly the produce room in the Winn-Dixie that used to be next to the record store and the chinese place...
this room rocks - stupendous verb, not to mention that the main floor is big enough to get several varieties of slapback (it's so cool walking diagonally across that floor while clapping, cos you're adjusting four different delays simultaneously)...
oh, and did i mention the place still has electricity (even tho it's been closed two or three years)? flourescents are a bitch, but i found the breakers, and still got outlets where i want them...
on top of that, there were some those little intercom speakers like you had in high school. took one home, it's got a multi tap transformer permanently mounted on it that is great, great, great for getting new sounds out of my little Peavey Rage - i now actually like the way the clean channel sounds, and the gain channel has become way thicker and more responsive... a few weeks ago i was getting similar sounds (but with less variety) sending a DI guitar through a dbx 118, to give you an idea...

so, yeah, this weekend i'm gonna do grrrilla sessions at three in the morning with my new verb, delay, and guitar compressor... and after it's served its purpose, we'll do secret shows until the cops get wise...
find that on the bay.
Village Idiot.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:44 am

careful man, I can imagine a neighbor complaining about noise and you getting arrested for trespassing.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:47 am

Hell yeah! this is rad.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:06 pm

i'll admit i like the idea of music being recorded in a found space.

i remember reading on some music blog a while back about two guys who recorded a whole album by playing wind instruments while wandering around in the forest... the space between them and their proximity to the mic setup and the environment determined the dynamics for them.

interesting concept. i'd shoot for a better time, though. any noise is suspicious at 3am.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:32 pm

i've always wanted to record in the ape caves... but there is something about running a gas powered generator in a cave....

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:42 pm

yeah, see, i pretty much gotta wait until the liquor store closes, cos otherwise the noise is gonna be pretty damn suspicious anyway. but the room i'm in love with is way at the back of the store (which is double concrete block (with a steel slab for a door (and it faces a huge lot full of bamboo)))
oh yeah, i've found a dried lizard and a molten butterfinger so far... both very chewey.
Village Idiot.

KilledByAlbany
takin' a dinner break

Post by KilledByAlbany » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:26 pm

Aren't you in the same town where Johnny Cash got arrested for picking flowers.... I'd be afraid to step out of line... :lol:

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:40 pm

never heard that about cash... but actually: today i got convicted of stalking b/c the local real estate agent has a billboard that says "I have the key to your new home," and i had the nerve to ask her to give it back.
Village Idiot.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:37 pm

Definitely very cool, but at the same time (call me LAME), I would be worried about getting caught and taken away for trespassing and having my stuff "confiscated", never to be seen again.

That said, if you do it, let us hear (about) the results!

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:49 pm

floid wrote:never heard that about cash... but actually: today i got convicted of stalking b/c the local real estate agent has a billboard that says "I have the key to your new home," and i had the nerve to ask her to give it back.
dude i'd so slash that lady's tires and proclaim holy fucking JIHAD on her ass.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:27 pm

heh, i think the cops think that's exactly what i did - when they arrested me, man, it was like a mini gitmo.
so, maybe convert the place into a bunker.
Village Idiot.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:45 pm

LOL

I live in Southern Maine, so when I saw this topic, I thought you were talking about Old Orchard Beach.....

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi Eeldip-

Just went up to Ape Cave on Teusday. I'm in N. PDX also, small world. Lombard/Denver area. We have one neighbor, and sometimes play the drums in the wood-floored, high-ceilinged living room. All the windows are 80 years old and leak air - and obviously lots of noise - but it's been fine so far. Luckily we have a bunker of a basement. Not great for sound, but at least we can play loud things when we want to. People seem more relaxed in this end of town, and living space isn't as dense as anywhere on the near NE/SE or NW corners. Go 5th Quadrant (the place, and the bar)!

As far as recording goes, I'd try it out, you'll get an idea of how fast the cops will get called, and there won't be 300 people and booze there to get you in over your head. I've pulled that off without anybody getting hauled to jail, but it was at our own house back in Denver. I'd imagine some type of excuse would work if it was you and a few others with some mics: "Uh, my uncle is the real estate guy, and got permission from the building owner, I forget his name. We were just leaving, the record is finished. I love cops, you guys are so awesome, See-ya." Etc. I'm sure people would like to hear this if it goes down. Let us know.

jim!