Recording gunfire

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:27 pm

AstroDan wrote:wtf? Do you guys all live on some survivalist compound in the middle of Montana? :)

:D

No, but one of us has some relatives who are police officers.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:05 pm

I don't plan on duct taping a ribbon mic to the barrel or anything, but is it feasible that a 57 placed a few feet away could be damaged?

I gotta be the smartass and say....only if you shoot at it.

kenl666
ass engineer

Re: Recording gunfire

Post by kenl666 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:13 am

Another thing to consider: indoor or outside location?

I've notice that guns are quieter outside (less reflections). At an indoor range you'll always get put next to some bozo with his .45 (those things are loud!) so you'll spend a lot of time waiting for the echoes to die down. But this ambience may also be useful...

If you have the opportunity, try different calibers, maybe .22, 9mm, and .45.

And when I asked "indoor or outside" I was talking about shooting ranges, not the local mall :shock:

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 am

Which kinds of firearms are you planning to record? There are so many variables just based on the type of gun, caliber, grain of the round, etc. that can affect the mic's. For instance a MK-18 on semi auto has a shorter barrel than say an M-16 or M-14. So the attack is louder but shorter and may not leave the diaphramcompletly shredded. The M-16 has a longer barrel same round, and the blast is more sustained or prounounced. The M-14 is just fucking loud and obnoxious and I don't ever suggest trying to record it. Take this into account with all firearms, the fact that they all have different characteristics to them and narrow down what you want to shoot, vs. what you want to use to record them. That's my 2 cents. I understand if you want a refund...
Just trying to get through life without looking stupid! Not workin' out so far for me...

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:15 am

Gotta love a company that promotes its mics as good tools to record cannons:

From http://heilsound.com/pro/recording.htm
Heil Sound propaganda wrote:The PR 40 is the cannon of dynamic microphones, with a frequency range of 28 Hz. to 18 kHz., it's the absolute best mic for kick drums and horns. With a great articulate mid range rise at 5K (instead of the usual nasal sounding 2 or 3k) the PR 40 is well suited for vocals and instruments. Hollywood has even discovered the PR 40 for capturing the sound of cannons and guns. Outperforming the age old thousands of dollar condensers, the PR 40 reproduces it's wide frequency range with unbelievable clarity.

KilledByAlbany
takin' a dinner break

Post by KilledByAlbany » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:25 am

I was curious to try a PR 40 before this. Now I am legitimately excited. Especially since my studio is rent free for me, as long as I give local filmmakers a spot to track ADR and foley tracks for their films.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:27 am

can we get james hetfield or The Nuge on here? those guys would know.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:26 pm

which gets me wondering what the hell happened to that footage of the Nuge hacking his leg off with a chainsaw, or whatever it was...
Village Idiot.

ThunderFaceWizardHead
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ThunderFaceWizardHead » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:03 pm

lastpicked4kickball wrote:Which kinds of firearms are you planning to record? There are so many variables just based on the type of gun, caliber, grain of the round, etc. that can affect the mic's. For instance a MK-18 on semi auto has a shorter barrel than say an M-16 or M-14. So the attack is louder but shorter and may not leave the diaphramcompletly shredded. The M-16 has a longer barrel same round, and the blast is more sustained or prounounced. The M-14 is just fucking loud and obnoxious and I don't ever suggest trying to record it. Take this into account with all firearms, the fact that they all have different characteristics to them and narrow down what you want to shoot, vs. what you want to use to record them. That's my 2 cents. I understand if you want a refund...
All I own is a .22 pistol for target shooting (and occasional gang warfare), but I'll probably borrow a 12 gauge and .30-06 when I go record. I'm leaning towards trying a 57, and a number of shootable cheap/homemade speaker mics. Although, I do like the idea of using this as an excuse to buy a PR 40.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:21 pm

Yeah, that .22 is not gonna give you much, er, bang for your buck (sorry about that). You will have much more awesome gun-like sounds from the 30-06 and the 12 gauge.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:03 pm

ThunderFaceWizardHead wrote: All I own is a .22 pistol for target shooting (and occasional gang warfare), but I'll probably borrow a 12 gauge and .30-06 when I go record. I'm leaning towards trying a 57, and a number of shootable cheap/homemade speaker mics. Although, I do like the idea of using this as an excuse to buy a PR 40.
I should look into seeing if I can get some ADAT of the MK-18's our VBSS teams use on our ships here in Everett. They are pretty close to some of the gunshots you hear on television, well at least they are on an outdoor range.
Just trying to get through life without looking stupid! Not workin' out so far for me...

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:24 am

Whenever I need a sample of a gun, I use one from the very sweet Call Of Duty. My hip hop clients love the sound of the BAR and trench shotgun.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:27 am

Kevin Kitchel wrote:Whenever I need a sample of a gun, I use one from the very sweet Call Of Duty. My hip hop clients love the sound of the BAR and trench shotgun.
Aren't those sounds copyrighted though?

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:27 pm

Here's how to do it (I've done this before with good results).

It's like micing a snare drum's air hole. You certainly don't want that mic near the shockwave. So what I've done is (with whatever mic), have the microphone pointing in the same direction as the barrel. Maybe where a "scope" would be mounted on the gun. The schockwave moves away from the barrel so your mic should be fine. I would try BOTH mics: SM57, and a condenser.

Let's us know how you make out.
- Brad

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:27 pm

vsr600 wrote:
Kevin Kitchel wrote:Whenever I need a sample of a gun, I use one from the very sweet Call Of Duty. My hip hop clients love the sound of the BAR and trench shotgun.
Aren't those sounds copyrighted though?
The records that these people put out are the mix-tape type where they are using instrumental versions of popular songs anyway.