Remote Recording in Florida

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

locosoundman
pushin' record

Remote Recording in Florida

Post by locosoundman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:55 pm

Hello all:

Just wondering if anyone on this board does much on-location work in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. How is the live music scene down there?

Best,
Rob
"We have met the enemy and he is us"
- Pogo Possum

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:42 pm

If you're into rock....it sux.
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:15 pm

Wilkesin wrote:If you're into rock....it sux.
I agree.
Though, if you are just looking for general live recording/mixing work, there are always events going on. If you have experience with Latin music (playing, running live sound, or recording) and happen to be able to carry on a conversation or at least get by with Spanish speakers, you'll have a much easier time getting your name out there (to a wider group) and letting people know of your availability and skills.
I've not been out in a while but it seems like there is much more of a "scene" forming/going on now than there has been in years...

Are you considering a move, or already on your way? If you don't mind me asking, what brings you this way?

all the best

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

locosoundman
pushin' record

Post by locosoundman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:05 am

I am not much of a rocker. Most of my experience is in the classical and jazz arenas (including some Latin jazz) as well as among some religious organizations. I love being in New York, but it is expensive to stay up here. There's plenty of business to go around, but there is also a lot of competition.

I am considering a relocation - though not very seriously. I like south Florida and I have family connections down there. If I moved down there, I imagine I would be a medium-sized fish in a not-quite-as-large pond.

The flip side is that my network is mainly up here. Nobody in Florida knows that I exist - not to mention, I don't speak Spanish.
- Pogo Possum

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:39 am

Sounds good.
I'm sure you'll do well if you get out there and start working once you get settled in, if you do relocate. It's nice that have family down here and at least have some idea of the area before you head down. The good thing about being the medium-sized fish is that you'll have that advantage over all us extra-small-sized fish. :oops:
My live sound and remote/live recording experiences are slim though (only a few small setups when I was in school), so please take my comments with that in mind. You might make it down here on a trip and find that there is more work than you were imagining and find relocation that much more encouraging.

I wish you the best with the move if you do.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:27 pm

I'm told there is quite a flourishing live jazz scene in the area, and the U of Miami has a well respected music program.

I wouldnt expect much in terms of lowering your cost of living. I was selling a car recently and the first guy that called to buy it had just moved here from NY and was a bit shell shocked by everything (cost of goods, rent, lack of an adequate public transportations system, spanish...)

But then again if you have family connections... :)
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

locosoundman
pushin' record

Post by locosoundman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:23 pm

Thanks for your answers. I wonder if the live-recording scene in South FLA would bear up under New York City prices - especially when some New York musicians are balking at the price :)

Aren't there some performing arts centers in the area as well? Do they seem pretty active?
- Pogo Possum

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:56 pm

Florida is not the bargain it used to be, especially south Florida..... homeowner's insurance has gotten completely out of hand (if you can get it at all), and property taxes thanks to years of unchecked real estate speculation has taken it's toll.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:26 pm

oh man, why would you want to move TO south florida?

i moved out of the area in the mid-late 90's, and everything just keeps getting worse and worse...

and, from experience, there isn't a music scene, much less an independent one - since only the top musicians venture so far south to play an arena.

i'd say you'd have better success with jazz and the like in orlando and tampa, which definitely have lots of opportunities like that...
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*