Soundtracs Topaz with issues / what's this mean?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Soundtracs Topaz with issues / what's this mean?

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:59 am

hi guys,

theres a soundtracs topaz for sale locally. i have only spoken with the guy on the phone, i haven't seen it.

he says that about half the channels are whacked, that you have to crank the gain to get any level, and then they "pop" back in and you get all the gain, and volume. ouch.

anyone have a decent guess as to what's causing this? he says it needs to be recapped, which it might, but after talking to the guy, i'm not terribly convinced he knows a heck of a lot about any of this stuff. and um, neither do i for that matter.

thanks in advance...
Jon

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:16 am

Contact Steve Magalnick. he's the north american service hero for the soundtracs. Super helpful fella.

Steve Magalnick
Victory Technologies Inc.
1780 N.E. 191st. Street Apt 212
N. Miami, Florida 33179
U.S.A

Phone#: 305-944-2503
Email: mag212 AT comcast net

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: Soundtracs Topaz with issues / what's this mean?

Post by Andy Peters » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:05 pm

Jon Nolan wrote:theres a soundtracs topaz for sale locally. i have only spoken with the guy on the phone, i haven't seen it.

he says that about half the channels are whacked, that you have to crank the gain to get any level, and then they "pop" back in and you get all the gain, and volume. ouch.

anyone have a decent guess as to what's causing this? he says it needs to be recapped, which it might, but after talking to the guy, i'm not terribly convinced he knows a heck of a lot about any of this stuff. and um, neither do i for that matter.
Recapping is the first thing suggested by people who don't have any idea what might really be wrong.

I'd guess that some of the insert jacks have oxidized and the switching contacts aren't working well. Cleaning with Caig DeOxit or similar could help, as would replacing the jacks. A simple test is to plug a 1/4" TRS plug with tip and ring shorted into the insert jack and see if the problem goes away.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:07 am

will the moor wrote:Contact Steve Magalnick. he's the north american service hero for the soundtracs. Super helpful fella.

Steve Magalnick
Victory Technologies Inc.
1780 N.E. 191st. Street Apt 212
N. Miami, Florida 33179
U.S.A

Phone#: 305-944-2503
Email: mag212 AT comcast net
good call will. steve called me after i emailed him. helluva nice guy indeed. totally went out of his way to help me out.

cheers,
Jon

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:39 am

could also be broken solder joints, most likely where the insert jacks are - or the normalled portion of the jacks themselves are intermittent (i have seen this particular problem on Marshall JCM 900 amps). a thorough cleaning/inspection would be in order, you could nail down the question of the insert jack by taking a TRS 1/4" cable, put it in the insert, and using an alligator clip or something similar, connect the ring and tip of the unused end while something's playing through the input strip. if you have a nice clean signal after doing this, or alternately "exercising" the jack with a cable, this is likely the problem.

otherwise, check the usual suspects like ribbon connectors, etc inside the console.

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:40 am

doh! Andy already mentioned my idea. move along, nothing to see here.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Re: Soundtracs Topaz with issues / what's this mean?

Post by Jon Nolan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:54 am

Andy Peters wrote: I'd guess that some of the insert jacks have oxidized and the switching contacts aren't working well. Cleaning with Caig DeOxit or similar could help...
this seems to have worked! thanks to steve m., and all who chimed in here....

you all rule.

jon