Before the music dies

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jetboatguy
takin' a dinner break

Before the music dies

Post by jetboatguy » Thu May 03, 2007 6:42 am

I just hosted/promoted a screening of this documentry... it's great way to PR towards other musicians and music lovers in your community.

http://www.beforethemusicdies.com
"Digital?
Is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and they chop it up into little bits?" --- Rupert Neve

Cryonicsound
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Cryonicsound » Thu May 03, 2007 11:47 pm

This seems really interesting. I know a few art venues that might be interested in screening this, so I'll pass it along.
------------------------------
Rafi Singer
Cryonic Sound

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Fri May 04, 2007 7:21 am

I Just hosted a showing of this film at our local theatre. If you want to see if there are any local showings, you can go to the Before the Music Dies Website and search your zip code. Every public showing is posted on there, and most are free. Or you can host your own! all the info is laid out on the website: http://www.beforethemusicdies.com/ (watch the trailer)

This is a very intriguing film that I think everyone needs to see. While most of the info presented in the film is not breaking news to seasoned professionals in the music industry, it still provides a refreshing and introspective view into how we treat our art. However, in order for this film to spread its message, it has to get out to all the music fans that are not aware of the many social ills in our business.

Go host a showing at a local theatre or even at your home! Get the free DVD?s and give them to your local library. If you have a kid, give it to his or her music director. And so on...

peace
Michael Kudrak

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Fri May 04, 2007 11:02 am

I'll have to get this.

LVC_Jeff
gettin' sounds

Post by LVC_Jeff » Sat May 05, 2007 10:06 am

Great film. See it. That's all I can say.
Jeff- Music Recording Technology Student at LVC

Skinny Shamrock Recording- http://www.myspace.com/skinnyshamrockrecording

jetboatguy
takin' a dinner break

Post by jetboatguy » Thu May 10, 2007 1:42 pm

Good to see that other TOMB members have hosted this documentary... I hope that many others will join in on this movement,

As a producer/engineer/music maker... it's our duty to educate music fans about what's real and what is not.
"Digital?
Is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and they chop it up into little bits?" --- Rupert Neve

rydberg
pushin' record

Post by rydberg » Fri May 11, 2007 10:09 pm

+1

The local Grammy chapter just had a screening of it this week in Philly at the International House. I got to see it a couple months ago and yeah - it's really great. If your sig. other/parents/friends/ etc. don't understand what the hell yr complaining about when you bitch about the music industry, this will help them understand where yr coming from.

P.

asylumdigital
pushin' record

Post by asylumdigital » Fri May 11, 2007 11:13 pm

Looks good. I'm gonna order it now...
peace!
Scott Slagle
Asylum Digital Recording Studios
http://www.asylumdigital.com
http://www.twitter.com/scottslagle

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Sun May 13, 2007 10:34 am

Mine came in the mail yesterday and we watched it last night. Thanks, jetboatguy for posting this. It's an excellent film. I'll spread the word.

Sorry to go off topic but one of the things that this film made me realize is how important it is to turn around the royalty increase for internet radio stations. There's a couple of bills in Congress to undo the increase and we need to write our legislators to support these bills. The more I learn about this issue the more it looks like an industry effort to snuff out the small independent competition. The majors will do anything to protect their failing business model.

Winslow Leech
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Winslow Leech » Sun May 13, 2007 7:39 pm

You can download it at [/url]www.indie911.com it's 3.99 for the ipod sized version.

I wasn't into it, but there were a few cool things said in the interviews.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:03 am

I am halfway through this film and (my honest, brutal opinion) I think it's terrible. I can't agree more about Clear Channel's general insipidness, etc. But this film: It comes across as just a bunch of people whining about some lost ideal that may or may not have even existed, ever, in the past. Erykah Badu is especially insulting, blaming her own recent lack of success (as she tells it) on the sluttiness of the other females in the business.

Yes, the point about things becoming homogenized has been made many many times in other documentaries, and is regularly reinforced all the time on public radio programs. But what about all the really cool music that's being made out there? The film insults all the hardworking and unbelievably creative artists who are out there doing fantastic stuff. START EDIT (and actually reaching wide audiences and making a living, at times [but don't tell the documentarians that! It doesn't fit with their agenda!]) END EDIT

Okay, mixed feelings at best. I'm going to finish watching it tonight and see if it shapes up. So far, though, it just reminds me of old farts carping about Elvis and moral decay back in the late 1950s. Flame away!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:26 pm

Saw most of it on IFC the other day. Great film. Man, Branford always has the best outlook on things.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:58 am

I am most of the way through it now - it shapes up towards the end, with the visit to KEXP and so forth. See, the music business isn't really so bad now is it? It has certainly changed but it ain't over, is my opinion.

The beginning of the film really put me off though, as anybody can see by reading my previous post. It was just too much "the sky is falling" to sustain my attention. In general I must concede that it was worth watching. I agree about Branford: his segments made it worth sitting through Erykah's astonishingly negative/caustic rants.

wenley
takin' a dinner break

anestesia

Post by wenley » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:28 pm

I thought Erykah Badu's stuff was just funny...I didn't think it was all that caustic, but then again maybe I'm just anesthetized to the black humor that is the music business. And yes, Branford was great!

Hell, I thought even Dave Matthews was pretty good. Overall, the film really spells it out to people who might not know much about the realities of the business these days.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:02 am

I can't believe you guys like Branford. He is such a tool it's unreal. He is the ONE
interview in that movie that made me want to turn it off. (ok, Erykah Badu was a
bit insufferable as well!) He's like Michael Moore
for me. Yeah, I agree with what he says but he's just SO full of it, I can't even
listen to him...

I'm glad this film exists, but I wasn't that into it. I agree with tatertot, it came off
as a bit whiny. Good for someone who doesn't already know all this about the biz.