Adding blend control to spring reverb

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Red Favorite
audio school graduate

Adding blend control to spring reverb

Post by Red Favorite » Fri May 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Hey all,

I recently acquired a Pioneer SR-101 tube spring reverb unit...I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to add a pot to blend the wet & dry signal. Could it be as easy as tapping the input & output and panning between them? It seems to make sense right now, but I've thought that before...

Guess that's it,
Jeremy

Red Favorite
audio school graduate

Post by Red Favorite » Tue May 15, 2007 10:08 am

OK, maybe that wasn't very clear...there is a knob on the unit to control the amount of reverb added to the signal, but turned all the way up, the signal being sent into the reverb is still clear. What I want to do is something like the sound you get from a Boss digital reverb pedal, when the reverb is turned up and the balance is set to the wet signal only, so you don't hear the attack of the notes, just the effected signal. Don't know if this is possible with a spring unit, that's why I'm asking...

Jeremy

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Tue May 15, 2007 1:59 pm

"reverb is still clear" as in not working? or not wet enough

if its not wet enough more then likely if you follow the trace backward from the opposite pin from the full reverb side of the knob ( if wet is all the way right then follow the left most pin) you will find a resistor directly in the path to the spring's preamp. try taking a wire and shorting across the resistor ( careful not to touch anything with your bare hands !!! i use alligator clips on either end of a piece of wire attached to two tiny screw drivers and i never touch the metal if it plugs into a wall - oh and if you short the wrong thing you could fry the reverb which is not my fault !!! ) and see if it causes it to go completely wet. if so then cut or desolder the resistor and replace it with short piece of wire or another pot to further control the wetness amount. if this doesn't work out then i would need to see a schematic to go any further.

steven

Red Favorite
audio school graduate

Post by Red Favorite » Thu May 17, 2007 10:15 am

Ah-ha...there's something I can use...thanks!

Jeremy