where do you buy your capacitors?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

arkestra
alignin' 24-trk

where do you buy your capacitors?

Post by arkestra » Sun May 27, 2007 8:59 pm

mouser has too high a minimum, digi key doesnt have what I need. I dont trust a cap off ebay for anything especially if its obviously been pulled from something else. Heres what im having trouble finding:

.1uf 400v
.03uf 600v

suggestions?

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sun May 27, 2007 10:03 pm

triode electronics

small bear electronics

both places are happy to deal in small quantities

also, mouser has no minimum order amount - if you are seeing minimum quantity, you might not be looking for a radial or axial leaded capacitor, its probably a chip cap.

what kind of cap is it - ceramic, poly, electrolytic? Mouser can be tough to navigate, especially you are new to electronics.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Mon May 28, 2007 7:06 am

There are rare instances where Mouser will have a minimum>1. I find it far easier to locate stuff at Mouser when leafing through the paper catalog. Same with Digikey.

I had a boss that used to give me McMaster-Carr catalogs and say "here...for the imagination factoy...". I LIKE the paper catalogs...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

arkestra
alignin' 24-trk

Post by arkestra » Mon May 28, 2007 9:19 am

they are electrolytics.

I have been using this page to look for the caps at mouser and like it.

http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine.asp ... ype=Header

the problem with mouser is they dont seem to have high enough voltage values

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Mon May 28, 2007 10:03 am

I use Mouser but their search engine sucks. Looking at the PDF catalog will help but it is time consuming. Start looking by brand. The values you are looking for are a bit odd and may be hard to find.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

rjd2
steve albini likes it

Post by rjd2 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:18 pm

im no expert, but....those values sure look pretty ceramic to me. i could be wrong, but every time i've seen caps that are in the 400-650v range, and under 1mfd, its always been ceramic. and, i have never seen those ranges in an electrolytic cap.

there are more experienced guys ont his board than me, though, so please, correct me if im wrong.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Mon May 28, 2007 1:13 pm

rjd2 wrote:im no expert, but....those values sure look pretty ceramic to me. i could be wrong, but every time i've seen caps that are in the 400-650v range, and under 1mfd, its always been ceramic. and, i have never seen those ranges in an electrolytic cap.

there are more experienced guys ont his board than me, though, so please, correct me if im wrong.
Agreed -- they're probably ceramic caps.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon May 28, 2007 1:30 pm

Maybe look for them in poly film types? What's your application?

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon May 28, 2007 5:47 pm

Yup, they look like ceramic or film values. If they ARE electrolytic caps, and film replacements will fit, most people generally prefer the sound of films. You could probably find Wima replacements for those values in mouser. No minimum order for those.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think mouser even charges a $5.00 service charge for an order under $25 like Digikey does. Or maybe I just havn't made a small enough order, but I've made some small ones.

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Wed May 30, 2007 5:45 am

Is this for tube equipment? Hoffman amps is worth checking out for stuff like high voltage orange drops (or similar). They usually ship same-day and have no minimums.

-ck

lacquer_monkey
gettin' sounds

Post by lacquer_monkey » Wed May 30, 2007 8:27 pm

Antique electronic supply ( www.tubesandmore.com ) is a good bet for high voltage caps of all sorts.
uh... what??

GREGL
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by GREGL » Thu May 31, 2007 7:37 am

Parts Connexion has an excellent supply of caps for tube stuff and otherwise. Also check out Michael Percy, Welborne Labs, Antique Electronic Supply and Handmde Electronics(already mentioned), and Angela Instruments.

arkestra
alignin' 24-trk

Post by arkestra » Thu May 31, 2007 2:38 pm

my bad. they are not electros. They are film caps I looked at the schematic again. The physical caps had marks on one end that made me think they were electros. And, looking at a friends Mouser catalog solved my problems, they had everything I needed. good old orange drops. Why does the online version suck so bad? it seems like the perfect format translate to the web. . .

Dan Kennedy
audio school graduate

Post by Dan Kennedy » Thu May 31, 2007 7:25 pm

As a frequent user of online catalogs, I agree, almost all suck.

They seem to be designed by folks who only think you are looking for exactly what you know you need, to the letter.

Instead a catalog is a wish, or dream book, like the McMaster-Carr book brought up earlier. You can open that book up and think of a project to do with something you found randomly on a page, while an online DigiKey catalog makes you want to run off screaming and head for the bar.

Luckily search engines keep getting smarter...

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu May 31, 2007 8:25 pm

Gee, a zillion almost identical parts... a search engine is a tough thing to do properly.

Speaking of McMaster-Carr, their website has a pretty amazing search engine. Especially when you get into oddball little screws and such. Plus it's really fast most of the time.