mastering to tape?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: mastering to tape?

Post by wing » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:42 pm

i've seen mtr-10s and 12s go for even $250-300. even on ebay.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:43 pm

I would say to track through a tape machine into the computer rather than using the deck to mix down to..you would need a machine that has as many tracks as you record at a time unless you feel like doing a mix to stereo/mono before you hit the puter..keep in mind a 2" 16trk is similar to a 1/4" 2trk so you can cheat a bit with this trade-off..i just got an ampex 440b for $300 locally..i tried to buy one from the west coast and ship it here to NY and the shipping was $900..so the key is to be patient untill one surfaces near you..getting one of these old machines like the one i said above you get excelent sound and you can learn to maintain and repair it yourself(with ALOT of hard work)..the trade-off is the transports can be archaic and parts sometimes hard to find..if you get one be sure it has the manual..very important..keep in mind you will probably have to spend several hundered more $'s to have it serviced if you want to use it when you get it..plus several hundered for alignment tapes..and there are many more hidden costs as well..i don't think anybody mentioned the empirical labs fatso i think its worth a look for you as well..good luck.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:46 pm

SKY_AT_NO_NOON, did you get your machine in NY thru a dealer? if so can you please point me that way?

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:58 pm

I have a ampex atr 700.

I have not used it yet, bought it and it immediately went into storage... Sicne I bought I've talked to some people who say the atr 700 is a toy... ??? Anyone have an opinion? From what I understand it is actually a teac , like they just put the ampex logo on it? I get the feeling it is just a high end consumer model... don't know.

Definatly can't wait to mix to it and make up my own mind instead asking all you turkeys to make mine up for me!!

Martin

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:52 am

tiger vomitt wrote:SKY_AT_NO_NOON, did you get your machine in NY thru a dealer? if so can you please point me that way?
Found it in a classified ad in Jersey..the machine is in excelent condition with new capstan motor and pinchroller and a record head that has 0 hours on it..I guess I lucked out..Visited Purchase this week :wink: my friend had a show in this airplane hanger full of hipsters..it was fun..check ebay for local machines you can check out personally..i see studios getting rid of stuff from time to time..or find one on the web in driving distance, boston, etc. and take a road trip..

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:42 am

OH YEAH thats right you're a Purchase person! i forgot about that haha

i was figuring on a road trip, sounds like a good excuse to get away on a weekend. the problem is, i have no clue what to look for.. i havent used a tape machine since...1993? no 1995, and then IIRC it was a tascam 1/4" 8 trk, whatever im rambling.

peace

evan

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:16 am

I have a Tascam 32 (1/4" 2-track) that I got on a trade deal a few years ago. Haven't really used it, but I keep it around 'cause it looks cool. Last time I hooked it up, the take-up reel motor didn't seem to be working.

I'm wondering if it'd be worth fixing this up to run mixes through, I'm otherwise strictly digital. Is this deck worth repairing? If so, can someone recommend a repair person in Portland, OR?