Geoff Emerick's book $5.99 at Borders!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Geoff Emerick's book $5.99 at Borders!

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sun May 06, 2007 11:37 am

Geoff Emerick's book about recording the Beatles has been remaindered in hardback. :(

I picked one up at Border's for $5.99 :D

Good easy read and a suprising amount of technical detail for a mainstream book.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun May 06, 2007 3:32 pm

Yeah, I enjoyed that book a lot! He definitely has a stick up his ass about George Harrison though.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon May 07, 2007 8:52 am

Looks like I'm hitting Borders after my session today!

Thanks for the tip.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon May 07, 2007 9:25 am

What's it called agin'?

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon May 07, 2007 1:26 pm

Here, There and Everywhere. good read.

Cryonicsound
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Cryonicsound » Wed May 09, 2007 1:58 am

I definitely recommend picking that book up. Aside from giving some decent insights into some of the processes he used, it gives (I feel) a much more objective view into the dynamics of the Beatles.
------------------------------
Rafi Singer
Cryonic Sound

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun May 20, 2007 10:13 am

Picked one up yesterday and haven't been able to put it down. Great insight, some great info on technique, and the stories behind development and production of specific songs is facinating.

Thanks for the recommendation KWSN!!!
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sun May 20, 2007 10:49 am

Heh..."This is KWSN comin' at ya LIVE!"
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Tue May 29, 2007 7:20 pm

Is this the hardcover or softcover? Man I went by our local shop but they didn't have any on clearance. From what I hear it's worth way more than the $15.99 that the softcover was priced. I guess I'm just a cheapskate looking for a deal.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed May 30, 2007 7:55 am

It's a really interesting book. I'm about 100 pages into it right now.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:11 am

DryCounty wrote:Is this the hardcover or softcover? Man I went by our local shop but they didn't have any on clearance. From what I hear it's worth way more than the $15.99 that the softcover was priced. I guess I'm just a cheapskate looking for a deal.
I went to two different stores and they only had the paperback available. Just checked www.borders.com (just their name on an Amazon site) and sure enough: There it is!
I've checked a few times since this thread popped up and each time it was full price...today is a good day!..Now if I'll only stop arguing with myself over the $3.99 for shipping.

I hope that helps someone, like me, who couldn't find one in their local store(s).

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed May 30, 2007 3:24 pm

Phil Lesh's book Searching for the Sound is remaindered in hardcover at Borders also. $4.99.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed May 30, 2007 3:45 pm

I get it now...you work for Border's!!! LOL. just kidding. thanks for another great tip.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed May 30, 2007 11:58 pm

It's on the way home, and I like to stroll around there and decompress sometimes...it reminds me of my intellectual days, when I cared deeply about pure ideas (sigh)...recording is an applied art which is a very different thing.[/i]