Sort of off topic: bass amp for temp PA

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Sort of off topic: bass amp for temp PA

Post by workshed » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:50 pm

This is kind of a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyhow, knowing I may very well be subjected to the jeers of everyone here.

I'm having a first practice with a new music project today and the PA speakers I ordered is late and won't be here until Saturday. Got the stands, got the cables -- speaker is still en route.

We're planning on playing pretty quietly today... drummer will use hot rods or brushes, I'm playing a little 60 watt tube head through a 1x12 cab, singer will use my 2x12 60 watt solid state amp, all at low volumes.

About all I have that could drive vocals would be a cheap Orange Crush 35 watt bass practice amp. If I run a dynamic through a cheap mic pre and run that out to the amp, will that work sufficiently, or am I apt to blow some stuff up? I'm thinking 35 watts is not enough to get a female singer loud enough... If nothing else, we could run vocals through the 2x12 combo.

Any advice is welcome.

-Bret

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:15 pm

If sound comes out and it doesn't blow up.....??? why not. Try it and see how it sounds. If you have a mixer and a headphone amp, that might work better.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:38 pm

You could also use one of those cheap line transformers:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTCP8201