David Gilmours houseboat studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

David Gilmours houseboat studio

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:11 pm

A short tour.
Who says you need a big room to do drums in?
All you really need is.....a houseboat.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WPMgcTwrdcw

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:44 pm

hey, that's in 3/4!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:36 pm

That sort of reminds me of my own setup... only without the houseboat... and without all the nice gear... and without David Gilmour.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:31 pm

Minus that stuff, but plus the pretentious classic rawk/prog music and solo records that sell precisely no copies, that's exactly my setup.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:30 am

Damn - there used to be an extended version of the TapeOp article in the "Bonus Articles" section.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:06 am

Was anyone else here kind of disappointed with that album (On an Island)?

I'm a diehard Gilmour fan and absolutely love him as a guitarist but I felt that album was a little lackluster; i.e., no real dynamics - glassy. I hope I'm not offending anyone with that statement.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

cyantologist
gettin' sounds

Post by cyantologist » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:11 am

And to think.. all these years I've been letting my extra houseboat go to waste!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:27 am

milhouse wrote:And to think.. all these years I've been letting my extra houseboat go to waste!

:shock:

What's great about that place is while the band is set up and recording in the drum room, you can engineer AND fish.

Seriously, it would be nice to have too much money. Delightful. :roll:

Sweet place,t hanks for posting this. I'm a Gilmour fan, too. But mostly for Pre-Final Cut Floyd.

Jeff

DefD
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DefD » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:28 pm

KennyLusk wrote:Was anyone else here kind of disappointed with that album (On an Island)?

I'm a diehard Gilmour fan and absolutely love him as a guitarist but I felt that album was a little lackluster; i.e., no real dynamics - glassy. I hope I'm not offending anyone with that statement.
i bought On An Island expecting something good.
i only liked one song on this album and that was "Smile".
the sounds are pretty good, but the mixes are very vocal and guitar heavy.
in fact, much of the backing is nearly obscured by too-loud vocals and guitars.
that studio is hilarious.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:44 pm

Man, I gotta get me a Mackie Satellite, a compaq laptop, 2 57s, and a dinghy.

This reminds me of the Neil Young barn thing, where he had a huge pa set up on his property so he could listen to rock while in a boat on his pond or some such thing. When balancing the signal he'd sit out in the boat and yell, "More Barn!"

that's only a half remembered version of that story. Sue me.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:22 am

I too am a huge Gilmour/Floyd fan... I *heard* that the reason he didn't reunite with Roger/Floyd - was because of this album (On An Island).

I think Gilmour - melodic, ear-friendly, musical NEEDS Roger and his madness...

Thoughts?
- Brad

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:29 am

That houseboat is seriously indulgent...but you can't blame him for having all that money. I thought On An Island left a lot to be desired (especially lyrically)...Ironically, despite having the lavish houseboat, much of On An Island was recorded at Abbey Road!

Gilmour is the real reason Floyd never got back together post Live 8--both Mason and Waters (even Wright I think) indicated willingness, even interest, to play again, etc.

IMO, its a shame that Gilmour's been in the PF 'drivers seat' for the last two decades....ah well

LVC_Jeff
gettin' sounds

Post by LVC_Jeff » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:27 pm

:shock: Nothing else can be said.
Jeff- Music Recording Technology Student at LVC

Skinny Shamrock Recording- http://www.myspace.com/skinnyshamrockrecording

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:58 pm

Fieryjack wrote:That houseboat is seriously indulgent...but you can't blame him for having all that money. I thought On An Island left a lot to be desired (especially lyrically)...Ironically, despite having the lavish houseboat, much of On An Island was recorded at Abbey Road!

Gilmour is the real reason Floyd never got back together post Live 8--both Mason and Waters (even Wright I think) indicated willingness, even interest, to play again, etc.
He's had the houseboat studio for a while. He did demos for A Momentary Lapse of Reason there. I think he mostly uses it as a demo/overdub studio.

Anyway, the whole PF mess is just that. Dave doesn't want to be a nostalgia act. He won't tour without a new album, and he doesn't relish the idea of going into the studio with Roger. Thus, no reunited PF album or tour. Of course, Nick's been trying to get him to do something for years and he couldn't be bothered until finally doing this last solo album. Nick played drums on a couple of gigs on Roger's last tour, but that's been it since Live 8. And Roger asked Rick to play on those dates, too, but he declined, citing that he was working on a solo album...

I'm not quite sure why anyone thinks it's a good idea that they try again, after all that's happened. Honestly, no matter what they came up with, I think people would be disappointed. They should happy the band went out with the Live 8 performance. That said, I pretty much always buy whatever any of them put out and I'm usually disappointed. But I buy it anyway, and occasionally I'm pleasantly surprised.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:32 pm

bradjacob wrote:I think Gilmour - melodic, ear-friendly, musical NEEDS Roger and his madness...
no kidding, Waters writes great lyrics but has weak music, Gilmour makes good music but can't write lyrics to save his life (and Polly Samson should give up trying to be a lyricist and go back to writing prose)...as songwriters, i think they're pretty much incomplete without each other.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca