What did you work on today? (June 18)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

What did you work on today? (June 18)

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:46 pm

So hey, did Garges retire from this gig? I'm starting this thread because I had a good day. No recording--I just finished putting my studio back together after a move--but I saved about 125 bucks. I was going to buy some new 7506's and a headphone extention cord, but instead I dug out the old busted HD280's I kept planning to fix, and fixed them. Then I fixed my neighbor's HD280's (both had bad solder joints, which in retrospect is kind of the only thing that can go wrong with those). Then I made a heaphone extender out of a couple of TRS connectors I had lying around, a F-F adapter, and 30 feet of console cable. Mission accomplished!

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:08 pm

I cursed myself for not buying a 'Plextor' burner for my new DAW. I bought this kick ass 'Pioneer' cd-r/dvd combo drive that rocks on every program, but wont function properly with 'Wavelab' and ' Nuendo'. So after a weeks worth of driver updates, and program tweeks. i get to spend my day shoping for a new drive and hoping it works.

Wasn't I suppose to record music today????
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:14 pm

Getting ready to "rediscover" the pain that is movie dialog recording cleanup and ADR work. Tonight! Yey!

But first I get to drop off my new Fender CIJ Jaguar for a setup. It's my new favorite electric guitar. Ever.

Jeff

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:37 pm

Hey, what a coinkiedink--I'm doing footsteps "foley" (in quotes 'cos I'm cutting it, not walking it) right now! Dialog cleanup is mostly done but ADR has yet to happen. Then I get to do all the scary stuff.

Also working on some industrial video stuff today, for which I was just informed I'll be staying late.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:47 pm

Testing another set of preamps I just finished up, these are going to a friend of Boris's ( http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=43749 )

Also trying out a diffferent level adjust mod for my bozak. Trying to get some better dampning on the trannys without Loosing some top end.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

hughindigo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by hughindigo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:15 pm

Baking tapes for a friend so I can transfer them tomorrow. Polka albums from '79 & '80.... :roll:

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:21 pm

Sat through a summer school class. Thats always fun...

Im planning on rerecording some guitar tracks before i take my guitar in to the shop to get a few things fixed.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:15 pm

I'm about to go to a session. We're getting the last basic track of electric songs for the Dirty Hands Band. We'll probably do punch-in fixes after that. The acoustic song tomorrow probably.

against88
takin' a dinner break

Post by against88 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:16 pm

i fixed a solder joint in a crappy stage DI. yay. used a friend's $100 weller iron and lord it was better than my $12 radio shack iron. i think i might actually not suck at soldering! horay.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:44 pm

I spent a lot of time reading about input transformers and balanced/unbalanced lines and circuits. And sourcing parts. And attempting to convince my boss that we really do need to spend $5000 on a new video camera. Even after we pay $1000 to get the transport on the old one replaced.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:20 pm

I've been out of town a BUNCH lately and it's just sort of slipped my mind to start one of these.

So, now that I'm actually back in Charlotte for a little while, I went out to the studio today to clean up, check on stuff, re-install a bunch of equipment I've had with me on some of these traveling gigs, and jump back into a few things I have in the works. I had someone show up at 6:30 for a studio tour and he dug the place and we got along well, so hopefully that will pan out this fall.

I also spent the better part of today trying to figure out if I'm going to be getting caught up on some stuff here in Charlotte next week or traveling to the Northeast to do some stuff. One of the albums I'm recording right now is going to involve several guests that live up north and it's possible that because of their touring schedules, I may have to head up there next week to record them. So I've been trying to find some good, inexpensive studios in Philly, Boston, NY/NJ, and central Mass. for this project without really even knowing for sure whether it's actually happening next week or not. As happens frequently, I'm stuck with trying to figure out logistics without knowing anything. My apologies to any of you guys I've talked to if the session doesn't happen. Really, don't hold any days open on account of me.

Three things I'm looking forward to:
Mitch Easter shows in Athens, GA, and Tampa and Orlando, Florida next weekend (which coincide with my birthday)
Police concert in Chicago in two weeks
Actually spending at least a few days with my wife

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:21 pm

All I have to say is, I do know how to play the harmonica.

No really , I really DO.

Urg.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:53 pm

cgarges wrote:I've been trying to find some good, inexpensive studios in Philly, Boston, NY/NJ, and central Mass.
If you pass through Ithaca, stop and say hi!

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:16 pm

Chicago is hot as hell today!!!
I have no AC!!!
I still managed to lay down a Super Fuzz take on the Rumba song with a 3/4 clasic rock chorus. A little Supper Fuzz following the bass hits the spot for me.

By the way...

That cheap ass Audio Technica 2020 condensor through my Sytek sounds great on electric guitars. Fuzzy, Clean, Overdriven... I will never go for the 57 again. I don't have to play as loud either. I'm sure the stripper who lives up stairs likes that.

She smells like body gliter and listens to Africa by ToTo all the time.

She has it on a mix with a lot of booty rap... must be part of her new show.

I also have to learn Soul Love for an upcomming show.

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:37 pm

recorded all the different squeaky sounds my brother's chair makes