Bruce Hornsby

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JASIII
george martin

Bruce Hornsby

Post by JASIII » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:19 am

This is gonna get a lot of comments about 80's shit, blah blah....

But Bruce Hornsby has got to be one of my favorite living musicians. The instant you hear the first piano note of anything he's on you know it. No one else sounds like him. The radio station we have on at work plays one or two of his older songs everyday, and there are some amazing ones IMO. Mandolin Rain is the weakest radio tune of his, no doubt, but DAMN stuff like Valley Road are just perfection. The 80's production (like synthy bass parts, and the snare drum sound) might turn a lot of people off or make people think it's pussy rock, but check him out live if you ever get a chance, WOW....

If you can find a copy of Rob Wassermans' cd 'Trios', the version of Hornsby's 'White Wheeled Limo' on there is great.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:30 am

I love Bruce Hornsby.
Alex C. McKenzie

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:36 am

Oh God, yeah. If I got to assemble my own all-star living rock musician band, he would be behind the piano for sure!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:39 am

Good player, never liked his songs. I really dislike his piano sound, it's far too processed (and I'm not one to shy away from slick '80s production stuff in general).
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:47 am

Funny...I was thinking that Bruce is a good example of somebody's musicianship completely overriding the crappy 80s production!
Alex C. McKenzie

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:42 am

Why associate Hornsby's playing with the 80s? It's not like he stopped making albums in 1898. In fact, the majority of his recorded output has been done since then.

For whatever it's worth, I think he's great. He's a terrific player with a very identifiable sound in rock music (thanks to the fact that McCoy Tyner never really played rock music) and plays great in any style, really. I've also had the good fortune to spend time with him and he's an incredible nice guy. Very down-to-Earth and not the least bit pretentious.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Yea man, Hot House is a great record!
Alex C. McKenzie

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:39 pm

cgarges wrote:Why associate Hornsby's playing with the 80s? It's not like he stopped making albums in 1898. In fact, the majority of his recorded output has been done since then.
All true, but the songs that get played on the radio date from that period, so that's where my association is.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

foodforthemoon
ass engineer

Re: Bruce Hornsby

Post by foodforthemoon » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:33 am

JASIII wrote:This is gonna get a lot of comments about 80's shit, blah blah....

But Bruce Hornsby has got to be one of my favorite living musicians. The instant you hear the first piano note of anything he's on you know it. No one else sounds like him. The radio station we have on at work plays one or two of his older songs everyday, and there are some amazing ones IMO. Mandolin Rain is the weakest radio tune of his, no doubt, but DAMN stuff like Valley Road are just perfection. The 80's production (like synthy bass parts, and the snare drum sound) might turn a lot of people off or make people think it's pussy rock, but check him out live if you ever get a chance, WOW....

If you can find a copy of Rob Wassermans' cd 'Trios', the version of Hornsby's 'White Wheeled Limo' on there is great.
You know something? This is why I generally like the TapeOp crowd. It seems like a lot of people here appreciate things that they think have integrity regardless of genre, era, and even personal taste to some degree. It's very cool and in my opinion pretty rare.

...And Bruce Hornsby is one of those guys that I DON'T turn off when surfing the local classic rock stations.