A bit OT: stereo audio amp with a 6v supply??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

A bit OT: stereo audio amp with a 6v supply??

Post by ryangobie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:33 pm

it's been a while since i've been on here. imagine that, none of my stuff has broken in that long! i'm sorry if i'm stretching the rules too much but this board has always been helpful to me. my "new" car runs on a 6v battery and has a genuine tube powered mono radio. instead of butchering the dash i'm looking to gut the stock radio and build a stereo power amp circuit in it with 2 rca jacks on the back side of it. trying to keep the car looking stock. anyway, i've been digging around looking for schems for the past few days and haven't come up with anything and was wondering if anyone on here knew of anything. figured i'd try. thanks.
weeeee

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:22 pm

What about using an inverter to crank out some higher DC rails? Otherwise, you will be VERY limited by the 6V peak-peak swing available with a conventional amp design.

In fact, that's exactly what the old tube-type car radios did. Internally is a "vibrator" (NOT a sex toy <g>) that chopped the 6V so it could then be stepped up via a transformer to supply the B+ required by the tubes.

EDIT: exactly what automobile are you playing with that has a 6V supply??? IIRC, 6V disappeared in the 1950's! My 1st car (1963 Dodge Polaris which was my Dad's hand-me-down in 1970) had a 12V system....and "negatiive ground", vs some older cars which had 6V positve ground.

Bri (who also had an 8-track Lear cartridge player in his Olde Dodge..rock on! lol)
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Post by ryangobie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:00 am

Brian,
Thanks for your reply. Any reference I found to tube radios in cars mentioned tubes that ran off very low B+ supplies. And truthfully, I have no point of reference in the matter. I've fixed guitar amps but those are a whole different beast. I don't have any schematics for the radio in the shop manual and haven't really poked around in it. I'll take a look.

It's a 1953 Chevy 210 two door sedan by the way. Thanks again.
weeeee

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:22 am

I am no expert, but I know that a "vibrator" was part of the components in car radios Back Then. 6V would have been WAAAAY too low for B+.

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/