Scott Walker - The Drift

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Scott Walker - The Drift

Post by ryangobie » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:07 pm

I haven't seen any mention of this yet. I was wondering if anyone else had it and what they thought of it. I think it's brilliant. So sparse yet extremely full sounding at times. Some interesting ideas for sounds. I saw an interview with him and it shows a clip of him micing a large slab of bacon and hitting it.
weeeee

Holding Pattern
audio school graduate

Post by Holding Pattern » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:04 am

I love this album. So dark and disturbing. Everything about this record blows me away, the string arrangements, the bizzare acousmatic sounds, twisted guitar lines and of coarse scotts voice and lyrics. sonically speaking, this album has so much depth and space, it is in a world of its own. A real artistic achievement.

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:49 am

Sorry to dredge up an old topic but I held off on hearing this as I'm such an old fan (can you tell?) of his old stuff and didn't much care for Tilt or Climate of Hunter until recently. So last week I bought it and ... wow, I'm just at a complete loss for words in describing it. It's like listening to a new language of music, although I can understand people that 'don't get it'. I don't think this is an album to 'get' as something to experience.

In terms of production, unbelievable. Love the drum/percussion sounds, keyboards, etc. and his voice sounds incredible. The lyrics, as always, are terrifying. Good stuff.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:11 pm

scott walker and lee hazlewood are all i'll ever need to listen to again.

scott 2,3 and 4 are fantastic. Tilt and The Drift are so amazingly new and strange... gotta say, i dont listen to them nearly as much as the old stuff though.

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:53 pm

Crazy, I searched for Scott 2 days ago and was about to post on this long dead topic myself. Anyway, I only recently discovered Scott, but the Drift blew me away. It's the most mind blowing/awe-inspiring/haunting abum I've heard in ages(maybe ever?). I coudn't even attempt to describe it, but my brother(who got me into him), described it as the unraveling of an insane mans conscious, and that seems about right.

The sound and production is nothing short of amazing, and his voice & lyrics complement the insanity of the music perfectly
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:03 am

Anyone seen this? The film is touring the world, currently playing in Australia I think. Looks incredible. Don't know anything about a normal release etc.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dBMJ79ly3B4
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty