Chicago Beer Night

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Archmart
pushin' record

Post by Archmart » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:03 pm

Hey Hey!

Indeed. Nice time and great to meet you all.

I have to say I did a terrible job of making it clear in my own mind who was who with respect to our usernames...

I didn't see Tara Reid, but I'll be at the beach in Michigan tomorrow so I expect better...

Archmart

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:14 pm

dwlb wrote:Had a great time, good to meet everybody and see the Chrises again (garges and mr. kilroy).

Plus I saw Tara Reid smoking outside a sushi place on my way back to the office.
haha, are u serious?? Dang, i shoulda gotten a ride with you haha.

Archmart
pushin' record

Post by Archmart » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:17 pm

Hey Hey!

Talk about devoted to the forum... It's like we got together for a moment JUST so we could rush back to our desks and post here about it. :)

Archmart

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:25 pm

haha, what else is tehre to do

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:10 pm

Kilroy wrote:
dwlb wrote:Had a great time, good to meet everybody and see the Chrises again (garges and mr. kilroy).

Plus I saw Tara Reid smoking outside a sushi place on my way back to the office.
Told ya. :wink:

She didn't look all that great tbh. (and everyone on TOMB says 'right--like you wouldn't hit it' simultaneously. okay.)

Archmart wrote:I have to say I did a terrible job of making it clear in my own mind who was who with respect to our usernames...
I was the one in the TOCon t-shirt.
Last edited by JGriffin on Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:11 pm

dwlb wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Told ya. :wink:

She didn't look all that great tbh. (and everyone on TOMB says 'right--like you wouldn't hit it' simultaneously. okay.)

[quote'"Archmart"]I have to say I did a terrible job of making it clear in my own mind who was who with respect to our usernames...
I was the one in the TOCon t-shirt.[/quote]

heh, no need for u to drive to evanston.

i was in the dashiki

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:58 am

That was a lot of fun. It was great to meet all of you. I look forward to the next one.

Stu
(green shirt, sitting across from dwlb at the end of the table)
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:16 am

Next time maybe we can announce on some other forums and double the turnout
lots of chicago guys over on gearslutz and pro sound web .
Maybe we can get John hardy to show off his new 500 series :wink:

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:30 am

gevermil wrote:Next time maybe we can announce on some other forums and double the turnout
lots of chicago guys over on gearslutz and pro sound web .
Maybe we can get John hardy to show off his new 500 series :wink:
I'm guessing it would be well over double the turnout if Mr. Hardy were to debut his 500-series line. Before everyone else showed, Sco and I were getting some pretty strange looks while testing out his new prototype mics; could you imagine a couple dozen TOMBers and slutz standing around John and his lunchbox? The bar staff might think we're a cult.

Reminder for next time: jalapenos and Belgian beer don't mix! Ugh!

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:52 am

dwlb wrote:Plus I saw Tara Reid smoking outside a sushi place on my way back to the office.
Dude, you're like Mr. "Spot The Celebrities."

Had a great time, everybody! Thanks for making it to the hang. We'll do it again some time.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:21 pm

That was a mighty fun time. Thanks for the ride to the tapas bar, se?or Archmart!
Walking around chicago with a broken foot isn't the easiest way to vacation but that certainly made life easier...
Good to meet all of you guys.

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:35 pm

Hey Scodiddly
Really liked your microphone prototypes . Id be into seeing some of your other mics next time this goes down . DIY mics will probably be my next obsession .

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:23 am

hey guys , I dropped john hardy an email and he said hed be up for another gathering
lets get a new one going
gary

Archmart
pushin' record

Post by Archmart » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:13 pm

Hey Hey!

It really was fun meeting you all. Thanks for initiating this CGarges.

MWingerski, how's that foot?

For all the rest of us locals...

I'd definitely be interested in any beer nights or other get-togethers that might happen. There's just nothing like taking a night now and then to talk to others who get it.

And you know, forgive me the commercial, but this is exactly what EARS is all about. It started with the same basic idea of an occasional beer night 20 odd years ago and while it's lived through many evo(and Devo)lutions it's still going. I'm not Mr. Multi-Grammy, but I'm a full time (plus) pro who lives and breathes this stuff, so in leading EARS I'm just trying to foster some camaraderie and some fun, interesting and informative get-togethers.

Interestingly, I've talked with John Hardy about participating in a sort of Chicago Pre night that would hopefully include him, Matt Lesko of Upstate Audio, Shea Ako, and Neotek/Sytek. I'm also talking to Toft Audio about getting their new console (which I'm about to order) in on it and might throw in a little A/B-ing of my Seventh Circle Pres with the legends they're modeled after.

We meet each month, almost always on the last Tuesday (the 31st this month) and you can just let me know if you want to be put on the mailing list. (Don't worry, it's basically a once a month newsletter/meeting announcement and we won't sell it or give it away)

August will be a BBQ and upcoming meetings we're planning may include Lindor Avenue Recording, Chicago Mastering, Electrical Audio, a Summing Bus shootout, a Mod night featuring Michael Joly of OktavaMod, Matt Newport of Black Lion Audio and others. Scodiddly's mics could be a meeting, as could Djimbi's room (If you have any ideas or suggestions, PLEASE feel free! :)

You can check us out at www.ears-chicago.org, and I hope you will.

At your service,
Archmart

Dark star Balla
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dark star Balla » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:30 pm

Next time I'd love to know about the meetup. I just started checking this forum semi frequently and would love to hangout and talk shop and learn from the vets in the game.