The Book Of Knots record release

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

joel hamilton
zen recordist

The Book Of Knots record release

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:23 pm

Tomorrow is the street date for the new Book Of Knots record entitled, "TRAINEATER" on ANTI records. We are playing one east coast show to celebrate this release, on July 13, 2007 at the Gramercy Theatre in NYC.Tickets are NOW ON SALE! Details on the Ticketmaster site:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00003 ... orcatid=60

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE!

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:47 pm

Tracks on myspace sound great.

If it were in Santa Cruz I'd be there.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:22 am

The official release is TODAY! hooray! finally!

The Book Of Knots new record "Traineater" arrives in stores this week. To celebrate this anticipated release, The Book Of Knots has just announced that they will be performing their first live show EVER on Friday July 13th, 2007 at The Gramercy Theater in New York City. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity as there are no plans for any additional shows. Tickets are on sale now through the following link:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00003 ... orcatid=60

Joining The Book Of Knots on stage will be Jon Langford (The Mekons) and Carla Bozulich (Geraldine Fibbers), who will also perform opening sets of their own music. Additionally The Book Of Knots will be backed by the band illumina - who are known as Philadelphia's #1 indie-rock
mini-orchestra. The Book Of Knots set will feature performances by many of the featured guest singers and performers from the Traineater record including Megan Riley, Aaron Lazar (The Giraffes), Shahzad Ismaily (Marc Ribot/2ft yard) and many others.

The Book of Knots, a New York based studio-collective, was formed by Matthias Bossi (Skeleton Key, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum) Producer/ Guitarist Joel Hamilton (worked with: Shiner, Battle Of Mice, Sparklehorse, Elvis Costello, Unsane) and Tony Maimone (Pere Ubu, Frank Black, They Might Be Giants) in the spring of 2003. What initially started as an excuse to write songs for their friends, took a decidedly serious turn when Mauro Arrambide from Austin Texas' Arclight Records stepped in and offered to release their recorded ramblings. Halfway through the making of record #1, violinist and vocalist Carla Kihlstedt (Tin Hat, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, 2 Foot Yard) joined them, and what is now known as the core quartet solidified. Soon after, it was decided that the band would release 3 records, the first being an ode to the rotting seaside towns of Matthias and Joel's youth, the second a tribute to the American rust-belt, and the third, a praising of all things aeronautical. Anti Records has gracefully agreed to bring to the world installment #2, "TRAINEATER"

For more information on The Book Of Knots, as well as press quotes please visit either of the following sites:
http://www.myspace.com/thebookofknots or: http://www.anti.com/artist.php?id=41

craigb156
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by craigb156 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:09 pm

Joel, that's very cool. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the record...

Craig

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:23 am

THIS FRIDAY NIGHT!
I hope to see some tapeop crew there.

Use the ticketmaster link above for tickets, then email me about some special percs for TOMB members!

The rehearsals have been really good, this show is going to be fun.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:47 am

Dig that record. It is quite insane!!

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:44 am

Hey, I just saw the listing for the show in The New Yorker. Very nice, and good luck with your "studio-based enterprise"!
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:47 pm

Hope to see some NYC tapeoopers there... or even some boston tapeoopers... how about DC? where you at?

;)

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:02 pm

For those that wanted to be there but couldn't.

The show was excellent. It was in an old theater that just started running music again. Good acoustics and a decent PA. The sound was clear, powerful, and articulate.

The mood of the space was great, Big velvet curtains hanging down the wallls, a cool impressionistic/industrial blck and white cityscape backdrop, good use of lighting to accent mood.

Big ensemble on stage. Drums, percussion, 3? guitars, 2? basses, upright bass, keys, multiple vocalists. A number of speciall guests singing and ready prose.

It was really well produced. The setlist was varied stylisticly, cool soundscapes between songs, and they moved from song to song quickly despite changes in players/instruments.

On a TapeOp sidenote I thought I spied two copperphones on stage...

But most simply and most importantly the songs sounded great and the show was FUN. An impressive feat for such a complicated show that was basicly a one-off.

Hats off to Joel, Tony, Marc, and the rest of the cast & crew.

Well done.
Linus

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:14 am

thanks man!
4 guitars...

2 copperphones...

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:42 pm

i've found the copperphone to be quite unruly on stage, though i would never think it from the sound of Friday's performance... did the monitor engineer compensate for the copperphone in the foldback mix somehow?
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:44 am

iC wrote:i've found the copperphone to be quite unruly on stage, though i would never think it from the sound of Friday's performance... did the monitor engineer compensate for the copperphone in the foldback mix somehow?
The copperphone was actually designed to be used live. It works really well unless the house engineer is not good, in which case, even a 58 can be a squealing nightmare.

THe copperphone worked perfectly for us live. I love that mic. it is the only great way to get driven, lofi sounds for a vocal in a live setting that really translates well.

We used the copperphone in the studio, so it sounded exactly like that live. Unless you are whispering into it, but that isnt what it is for anyway....

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:35 am

:)
and on that note..
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller