Too busy for client: wanna refer him to someone near SF...

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Too busy for client: wanna refer him to someone near SF...

Post by greatmagnet » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:38 am

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of moving my home and studio. Just bought my first house and will be for the first time building a "real" studio almost from the ground up inside a giant garage space. This is about 1 hour north of San Francisco.

Anyhow, this will take about 6 months and I had to turn down a potential new client who first started kicking my tires months ago and is suddenly "ready". He's a young guy (high school) who found me through the local punk rock club scene and he's very into old Bowie & Radiohead and was very adamant about wanting to record analog on my Otari MX5050 8-channel.

My rates are pretty cheap ($50/hour or $350/day which INCLUDES me as engineer) and I'll often cut half off that for young kids who are scraping it all together themselves. I'd like to keep this kid on-track and refer him to somebody "like me" who has that kind of TapeOp ethos in mind about recording creativity and can-do. Preferably someone who also has some medium-format analog or at least has the kind of ears to keep that aesthetic in mind within the digital realm.

I guess I know who all the "big dogs" are in the SF Bay Area but am maybe less familiar with all the little guys like myself who are lurking around the TapeOp message board and recording people on the weekends for fun and profit, but maybe are a good bit cheaper and offer their engineering services along with the room as a total package. I'd love to get some recommendations back from all of you if there are any other folks in the Bay Area that could take care of him.

The Hangar comes to mind as John's day rates are ridiculously cheap for the room and gear he offers...though that is not engineer-included I believe which may affect the bottom line a lot. And it's a bit of a drive from Petauma. So WHAT ELSE??? HELP!!!!

Cheers,
Adam
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:26 pm

I'm in SF and always looking for good new acts. :wink:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:01 am

Hey Adam,

You should still try to do the project somewhere else if you can find another studio up there that's affordable. Just because your place won't be ready doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Try to work something out somewhere. I think it'd be fun for you and obviously this artist likes your asthetic.

(In evil mastermind voice, with wavy fingers:) Do it, Adam... join the freelancers...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

congrats

Post by supafuzz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:13 pm

congrats on the house purchase!!!
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:17 am

cgarges wrote:...if you can find another studio up there that's affordable
Yeah that would be the main problem.
?Raoul Duke

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:50 am

Well, my studio is not an analog recorder place, but I've plenty of analog outboard... Plus, it's only $40/hr. or $280 for 8-hrs. with me engineering and $100 for 4-hrs. or $150 for 8-hrs. without an engineer.

It's in Sacramento though...

Weston Ray
http://www.WestonHouseRecording.com

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:32 am

Thanks for all the good posts and PMs thus far. Keep em comin'...
?Raoul Duke