Rode Mics

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Rode Mics

Post by thearnicasync » Mon May 12, 2003 6:33 pm

Hi there, folks. Just curious...a couple of those Rode mics seem fairly nice and surprisingly well-received. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with either the NTK or the Classic II. The Classic is like, a grand, but they claim it's believably U47-ish...could it be? I know Rode doesn't have the finest rep, but does anyone have any experience on these and much nicer microphones...? Thanks much for any opinions...

Verboten
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Rode Mics

Post by Verboten » Tue May 13, 2003 6:31 am

The only Rode mic I've used is the NT-1 and I found it suprisingly detailed on acoustic guitar and vocals. I thought it a little brittle on drums, though.
As this mic is one of the cheapest they make, I didn't expect much, but I actually favoured it to the 4033 for some acoustic tracks. Now, as to whether it compares with a Neumann - nah, not this one.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Tue May 13, 2003 8:18 am

Yeah, I had an NT-1 for while too. It wasn't bad for some things...I also liked it for (crunchy) acoustic guitar track. Crappy overhead, unless applied effect-like maybe.

Thanks for replying...!

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Tue May 13, 2003 8:50 am

can't remember who was it in tapeop that was interviewed, but he used the predessor to the NTK and swore it over is U47 for almost any vocal application.
boobs are life's fountain

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Tue May 13, 2003 10:08 am

I've used the NTK a couple times and liked it very much. It's very thick and full and colored, and seems to compress the sound a little bit, bringing everything forward. I think it probably wouldn't be good to use it on every track, because your mix would be mud. I tried out the NT1000 once, and it seemed like a very good value, very useable with some good character. I don't like the NT-1, it's too thin for my taste.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Tue May 13, 2003 10:32 am

yeah oktobre, it was the guy from aleep at the wheel. that's probably what got me fired up about it in the first place...

thanks!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon May 19, 2003 12:25 pm

I have a Rode classic 2 and I like it a lot. I have had this thing up next to an 87, a 47, and a 67, and for this male rock vocal in particular, it found its way onto about half the songs. the ones that were in the lowest register benefitted from its slightly toppy response. super up front, using a flickenger mic pre, or maybe it was the neve 1073... i cant remember, but i stilllike it with the drawmer 1960 mic pre a lot.

-Joel

estrojen
audio school

Post by estrojen » Mon May 19, 2003 12:44 pm

I just read in some magazine that the guy who recorded O Town and Avril Lavigne's record swears by Classic II for vocals and I believe it was the NTK on acoustic guitar...

hurricaneE
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hurricaneE » Mon May 19, 2003 12:55 pm

ottokbre wrote:can't remember who was it in tapeop that was interviewed, but he used the predessor to the NTK and swore it over is U47 for almost any vocal application.
I think that quote was in reference to the NTV, and I prefer it to my 87 on vox (although I prefer teh 87 on guitars and pretty much anything else). -E

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Mon May 19, 2003 1:39 pm

New Orleans Steve here with my 2 cents.
I'v used the NT 1 and The NT 2. I thought they were both Horrible for vocals. The sessions in questions were a simple voice over. Maby with some music to cover it... I mean it may cut through a full mix, but on it's own it had almost no good qualities.
I went with it through that session, and later asked the house engineer. He acted suprised, and said he had an AKG 414, as if to say he had other, more expensive mics. he also said it sounded almost identicle to 2 of his 3 414s. The 3rd 414 in his inventory, was a diferent variant and sounded nothing like the others, acording to him.
Anyway, as soon as he said 414 I crenged. He was right it sounded exactly like a 414 I had used in another studio. I thought the thing was broken then! The studio was just commisioned. The mics were purchased as part of a very large order from a top shelf dealer. So when I had time I A / B d the two and they were the same - not too good.
The point is I have never liked (these) 414s on vocals. The closer you get to the mic the worse they sound. The Rodes sound like that.
Now I LOVED in a major way these same 414s on drum overhead and gutiar. So you never know, but they never worked for me on vocals. They are transformerless, so maby that makes them more preamp dependant than other mics??
In that class I have found that by far the all round mic to have is the Shure KMS 32. I could go on and on. It summary, It is both more detailed and full bodied. In comparison, no harsh or spitty sound.

visit us on the web www.FrenchmenStreetRecords.com

swillhite
audio school graduate

Post by swillhite » Mon May 19, 2003 7:53 pm

I did a direct comparison between the NTK and a Studio Projects C1 ($199). The NTK was warmer and smoother, especially on acoustic guitar. I ended up keeping the C1 because it was a little better for my vocals which are somewhat nasaly, not to mention it was $300 cheaper. With a little bit of EQ I could get the C1 very close to the NTK in most instances. In general, I'd say the NTK is a better overall mic but in my case it wasn't worth another $300. Good luck.

Mason
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Mason » Thu May 22, 2003 9:30 am

I borrowed an NTV for a few months of home 4-tracking and really like it in just about any application. In a studio, it sounds good over the drummer's head (along with a kick mic) for a very tight, not-fussy mono drum sound.

The NTV is discontinued (renamed?), but you can still track them down pretty easily.

I've used most of the LDC Rodes and find them all to be very useful.