What Did You Work On Today? 7-26-07

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 7-26-07

Post by cgarges » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:02 am

So, today now offically being Thursday, let's see what everyone gets into today.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:58 am

driving to DC today to play a gig with natalie walker...

starting mixing the new phonograph ep tomorrow.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:51 am

Will finish tracking an original song, and probably do a quick cover a friend's tune for the hell of it.
Edit: I also spent 90 minutes at work this morning making Simpsons avatars of my coworkers.
Last edited by mjau on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:26 am

More Writer's Workshop tape transfers. Then some mixing of my own stuff. Then a doctor's appointment. Then more mixing. Then probably some WoW.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

KFledman
ass engineer

Post by KFledman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:04 pm

actually played around in the studio and recorded a rough idea.....mostly making sure I could make everything work in MIDI-land in the unlikely event I have a writing gig or am even just inspired to write. also did some tidying in the studio.....later, i may shred some documents.

if you care to listen to my idea du jour, go here...

http://www.myspace.com/centeroftheuniverseaudio

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:17 pm

Working a corporate show downtown - a small trade show w/ seminar rooms happening tomorrow (Friday).

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:36 pm

Yesterday I did the CD Extra authoring for Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings next CD - basically just coding the multimedia and autorun part and making sure the master conformed to Blue Book spec, as Daptone Records decided to add at the last minute a video of one of the tunes actually being recorded in all of one continuous first take. Anyway - it sounds awesome. The audio mastering was done by Scott Hull for this one and he left all the wave forms completely in tact - really nice job.

In other related Daptone stuff - The CD release party for the Budos Band's second release - http://www.daptonerecords.com/pages/dap ... LP-CD.html - which I did in fact do all the audio mastering for a few months ago - is being held at Joe's Pub on August 9th - the music is really amazing on this - maybe I can see some fellow NYC Tape Oppers at the show.

Just was at Joe's Pub a couple weeks ago for another release party for a CD I mastered of amazing solo cello stuff by Erik Friedlander - http://www.blockiceandpropane.com - that was recorded/mixed entirely analog by Scott Solter (who's worked with folks like John Vanderslice among others) using fairly unconventional micing techniques - a highly recommended recording to get!

And the day before yesterday I mastered an EP for Adrian Hibbs - http://www.adrianhibbs.com/ - really nice retro funk soul keyboardist/vocalist - from recordings done by Scotty Hard at his studio around the corner from me.

Other than that - I've been painting the studio bathroom - got it Curious George colors - kind of light mustard yellow semi-gloss for the walls and brick red high gloss on the trim. The old neon orange was kind of getting worn and gross. I'm going to slap down a new floor for it ghetto home improvement stylee over the weekend.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:13 pm

Let's see...at work, went back and forth with the Avid editor trying different codecs to see what the results were converting a PAL mpeg to an NTSC quicktime in various ways to get the best results...still not entirely happy, but tomorrow's session should go fine with what I have.

Then did some fx editing/music work on the Comedy of Errors sound design...we go into tech on Sunday. Talked to the director about computer playback and stuff for a few minutes. I promise all those that attended the Chicago TOMB beer night that I have spoken to him about clearances! :D

Fielded emails from the 6 directors of the theatre festival that goes into tech the same week as the Shakespeare show...my business partner is flying solo for the first time at that tech and I'm trying my best not to freak out. I'm still doing most of the design work though. Control freak, me.

Spent the evening running around doing stuff for the Shakespeare show, changing strings on my acoustic and going over songs for tomorrow's acoustic gig. My voice is tired; part of that is I'm singing wrong right now, part is I'm a little out of shape vocally...must do proper warmups tomorrow evening. Luckily it's a non-smoking venue, so that's not an issue.

Today's minor score: Found a copy of Marillion's "Brave" DVD in a cutout bin for $5.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:52 am

Lots of cool stuff wrapping up this week...A good week!
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:06 am

Well, I had my back worked on (messed up from a business trip).

Also researching DVR options after my current ReplayTV died. Any suggestions welcome outside of TiVO.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:42 am

mixing a live show I recorded a couple weeks back. It's primarily been getting all the stuff in the box, which has gone really smoothly so far.

Was recorded to a 24 track, and then pulled the hard drive, dropped the raw audio into the computer, and brought it into Logic.

good day, sunshine =)

ju

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:11 am

My girlfriend got on a plane to Argentina 9 minutes ago.
I bought a Fader Port, New monitors, and a Mustang bridge for my Jazzmaster.
She will be gone for 2 weeks!
I will write and record a new album in this time.
Wish me luck.

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:56 am

This week I transfered old comedy shows from dat to Protools, edited out all the crap (the duhs, ahs and let me start that agains), which was actually alot of fun. Burned the shows to CD. Gave the cds to the producer. Two days later I reburned the cds as the producer lost the first batch. Next week I'll start all over again with more old DAT and will also record more live shows which will be edited by someone else in several years.

I also worked my crappy day job, you know the one that pays the bills.

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:45 pm

yesterday was pretty uneventful for me. Practiced drums for a little bit, then had band practice later that night.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:08 pm

Mixed stems for the first batch of three songs for my band, Wedlock. Thursday I did audio captures off of the VS-1880 where one of the songs had previously lived. Those drums have been back and forth between the computer, the sampler and the 1880 so many times, they're actually just mildly modulated dither noise now. Hmm. What to do about that. Peanut gallery? Shame too, about the drums on this cut, cuz the rest of the stem mixes sound really nice. I don't have to mix my album! I don't have to mix my album!