A new song of mine feat. the famous "shit vox"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

dynomike
carpal tunnel

A new song of mine feat. the famous "shit vox"

Post by dynomike » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:48 pm

Link
(EDIT: NEW LINK TO FINISHED VERSION)

I started referring to any vocals i record with this realistic dynamic mic as "shit vox", but its way easy to do background vocals when you can just hold the mic with one hand and click record with the other.

The real vocals I recorded with a 4047 (close) and apex 420 on omni (room)

I'm probably gonna finoodle with the ending a bit (there used to be a lead vocal in the end but I'm not sure if thats going back in because i didn't like the lyrics)

Anyway, its pretty close now and I'm sick of it so please let me know what you think. I've lost some perspective because I've been working on it on and off for a few months - and I guess I've tossed a few of the riffs around for almost ... 7 years? ugh.

Mike
Last edited by dynomike on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:01 am

Nice track! I'd like to hear what the vocals would sound like reversed, i.e. use the realistic for main vox and the 4047 and apex for bg!
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

brainfreezebob
gettin' sounds

Post by brainfreezebob » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:54 pm

Sounds great, nice and sizzly. Cool song as well. Are you playing everything?

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:49 am

Thanks! Its a bad master - I just did it at home to get it a bit louder for the mp3... The sizzle is mostly from the tube mic I used on drum overhead which has a super hot output - I ran that into the hamptone jfet (without a pad, i think) so the whole overhead signal is really crunchy. That kind of led to approaching the subsequent tracks with that kind of high-end room sound prominent.

Yes, I am playing everything.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Skipwave
takin' a dinner break

Post by Skipwave » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:07 pm

Nice, I'm really impressed with your ability to play such lively drums in a one-man-band recording situation. Did you track the drums in sections, or full takes?

I really like the crunchy sounds, the Hamptone jfet circuit is awesome for that. The bass guitar distortion is rad.
"I want to be champion of the world, or champion of something." -Duchamp

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by WillMorgan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:37 pm

turn the shit up!

( i think i would prefer the vocal to be a bit louder relative to the rest of the sounds, at least early on )

Great track(s)!

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:16 pm

I should never listen to other folks' postings before posting my own cuz I'd never get anything out to the world. I almost balked last nite after listening to this. It's awesome.

I haven't listened to your stuff for a while-you're doing great.

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:05 pm

Heres the new mastered mix! I didn't turn the vocal up. If anything, I turned it down. Thats what you get. Sorry folks. I was trying not to compress very much so when I'm singing quietly, thats how it comes out. Just turn it up! You can still hear it :)

http://www.sleepytownsound.com/mike/sam ... areyes.mp3

I did track the drums in full sections.. it was really hard to keep myself hitting hard throughout, but i did like 6 takes or something and then comp'd it together, using maybe 3 takes.

Mike

Packy
ass engineer

Post by Packy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 pm

yeah man, that sounds great! Big fan of the crunchy drums. You've also got an excellent group dynamic happening for a one-man recording. You got any tricks/advice on that aspect of things, like overdub order, etc?

Haha, and I just saw Sleepytown Sound's motto: "offering ponytail-free recording in Toronto at a price your drinking habit allows" Brilliant!

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:32 am

dynomike wrote:I didn't turn the vocal up. ... Just turn it up! You can still hear it :)
I'm impressed, but I also would like more vocals for the first quarter of the song.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:38 pm

That was pretty killer, I enjoyed it imensely. I requested you to be my friend on myspace, I'd love to talk to you sometime about what you do.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:09 pm

Wow great job! The recording quality and is great. I wouldn't change a thing. The song musicianship is really good as well. I really like the off kilter yet catchy melodies.

I say post some more songs!