Is this possible to fix?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Is this possible to fix?

Post by mrdazobee » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:46 am

I have a track I recorded a while ago that has two different guitar parts.Track one is open chords(panned left) then bar chords further up the neck(panned right).The problem is they sound slightly out of tune with each other.Is there anything i can do to fix this or will I have to re record?Would something like melodyne be any help on chords maybe?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:01 am

welcome to Intonation Hell.

i don't think melodyne works on chords.

try panning them opposite each other. won't fix anything obviously, but it oughta make the tuning weirdness less apparent.

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:36 pm

Depending how many chords you feel you have to fix, maybe you could select each chord and use a pitch shift plug or dsp to shift the whole chord up or down a hair --- one chord at a a time.

I've had luck fixing vocal notes this way and don't see why it wouldn't work on a whole chord...especially if you don't have to shift it much.

Good luck!

Gerry

raw-tracks
takin' a dinner break

Post by raw-tracks » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:52 pm

playinbass wrote: I've had luck fixing vocal notes this way and don't see why it wouldn't work on a whole chord...especially if you don't have to shift it much.
You might get lucky with pitch shifting the whole chord. Chances are mor likely, though, that it will make matters worse. It's more likely that there is just one or two notes within the chord that are out of tune. Other note within the chord may be perfectly in tune. By pitch shifting, you might be able to tune the offending note, but in doing so, you will pull all of the other notes out of tune.

It's worth a shot though.
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills!
Mix Our Tracks in Your DAW!
www.Raw-Tracks.com

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:05 pm

maybe the best thing to do would be to live with it and take away the lesson that setting up/tuning/intonating before recording really can make things so much easier.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:40 pm

Intonate your guitar then play the part again?

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:30 pm

If you really can't replay it as others suggested, you can try putting chorus or vibrato effects on it to blur the pitch. An H3000 "micropitchshift" type patch can work wonders, too. It worked for all the Duran Duran vocals...
Let me mix your music!
http://www.sfrecording.com

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:57 pm

Do each guitars sound relatively in tune with the rest of the track when hearing it without the other guitar? If so, then keeping em panned away from each other helps.

String instrument intonation is a strange thing as its pretty much impossible to get em 100% perfectly in tune by itself let alone with the other instruments they need share the mix with. The good news is that its the slight pitch differences that makes music sound interesting and cool. So what you have to decide is weather or not its "interesting" or just plain out of tune. If its a close call, ask trusted friends and fellow recordists to listen to the track and ask them what they think. Sometimes when working on stuff for a long time, it helps to get a different perspective as its real easy to loose that all important perspective.

I can think of a few famous recordings that have super obvious pitchy stuff that made it out into the world and in some cases were big hits. Like that Its the end of the world song by REM. Is the out of tune guitar part cool or is it just plain out of tune? Some would say out of tune and some would say cool. Its a tough call but REM and the producers and engineers obviousely thought it was cool. And based on how big that song got, they were right.

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Post by mrdazobee » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:54 am

Thanks for all the replies,I think panning and adding effects should do the trick.The reason I didn't really want to do it again is the the playing is actually pretty cool.Suppose the soul should slightly outweigh the technical aspects at the end of the day 8)