If you only had to pick three......

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

dr.ona
takin' a dinner break

If you only had to pick three......

Post by dr.ona » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:21 am

We just did a short road trip and my girlfriend suggested I only pick three CD's for the trip...I found this to be kinda fun thinking to myself
"Hmm...like the what one book would you want on a deserted island" type of thing...
So I was up for the challenge!
Probably like most people here on the forum, I've got tons and tons of music to choose from...but I wanted to get something that SHE would also come to appreciateand something that could stand the "test of time" so I had to think about this one....
Here's what I picked...

1) XTC "Skylarking"...great songs...great production..well rounded.
2) Ween "Chocolate and Cheese"...one of my faves that has such a diverse writting style.
3) Beatles "Revolver"...need I say more.

Of course she already loved the Beatles but I was really glad when she LOVED the Ween! And "Dear God" she wanted to hear 3 times in a row..so I felt good about my picks

Dr.ona
"My 75 jazz bass turned me into a hunchback"

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:51 am

Great avatar, by the way.
A couple of years ago, I went on a 5 week long trip overseas and tried to limit myself to ten cd's (this was before I owned an iPod). I ended up with 12, and it was fun to pick and choose. Three - that's making it nearly impossible, but I'll try.

Beastie Boys / Check Your Head - the utlimate album, in my opinion. MCA's bass playing on CYH still resonates with me more than any other recorded music, and Mike D's drumming - especially on Pass the Mic - is hellacious. Songs like Gratitude, Pow, and In 3's kill me. Bonus points for having Money Mark on the album, too. Paul's Boutique and Ill Communication were great, but I'll be the world's proudest daddy if my kids roll out of the womb dropping a few lines from So Whatcha Want.

Beach Boys / Pet Sounds - cliche, yes, but who cares. It rules. It ruled when I was eight years old, and it rules now. All the cool Hal Blaine drums, the bass playing - including the great Carol Kaye - and of course the amazing melodies. Never gets old or tired sounding. A genius at the peak of this talents.

Neil Young / Rust Never Sleeps - Neil and Crazy Horse at their ultimate best. Thrasher can stop me dead in my tracks no matter when I hear it. Capped off by a ripping performance of Hey Hey, My My. A simple and plaintive bunch of songs that completely pierce me. I'll listen to my vinyl copy and want to play music - that's what a great album does.

dr.ona
takin' a dinner break

Post by dr.ona » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:25 am

Beastie boys....Check your head is an awesome album. Saw them tour that one...Great live show..they must of have 30 vintage guitars and basses with them.
The one Neil Young album I like the most is probably the one most people can't stand "Trans"...I bought the Made in Germany CD cause it has the extra track on it.

Nice choice of CD's though....I know narrrowing down to 3 is tough...I suppose I should've had it "If you only had to bring 2 Gigabytes of music with you..." :D

Dr.ona
"My 75 jazz bass turned me into a hunchback"

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:33 pm

whoops....wrong thread!

But while I'm here

Sweet Old World
The Impossible Bird
Pet Sounds - seconded

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:27 pm

Scot 4, Scot Walker
This is Hardcore, Pulp
Out of Season, Beth Gibbons
Let me mix your music!
http://www.sfrecording.com

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:21 pm

If I had to leave today...

spacemen 3 - perfect prescription
built to spill - perfect from now on
my bloody valentine - loveless

almost all perfect. :)

If I had to leave tomorrow, who knows.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Good choices, Will. PFNO was my first BTS album and still the best to me.
Assuming I'm tagging along in the car, I'd bring
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
The Verve - No Come Down
and the new Sean Lennon, just because it's so new and good.
And I'd have XO hidden in my backpack.

tunesbybill
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tunesbybill » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:52 am

Three? Wow. Here Goes...Wait, no mix discs? Okay..

1) Wander This World - Jonny Lang (and this would be the one if I were to pick only one) I can listen to the whole album and when it gets back to track one I can do it again. Sounds GREAT. Recorded well. Mixed well. Arranged well. Played well. Favorite. Period.

2) Kill 'Em All - Metallica UH....yeah. Pure testosterone fueled insanity with some gnarly bass (rip Cliff Burton). Sounds like shit but it's Hard Assed.

3) A disc of various rap beats. Improv in the car, baby.

Tough stuff here guys.
Welcome to the revolution!

BlueMoonshine
gettin' sounds

Post by BlueMoonshine » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:03 am

1. Gillian Welch - Soul Journey. I love this record more every time I hear it. No one is better at the acoustic slow groove than Gillian & David.

2. Ben Lee - Awake is the New Sleep -- I can't seem to get this record out of my car CD player, so makes sense to take it along for a road trip.

3. Lyle Lovett - It's Not Big It's Large -- Lyle's brand new effort is rocking my socks off every time I listen through it.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: If you only had to pick three......

Post by cgarges » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:05 pm

dr.ona wrote:1) XTC "Skylarking"...great songs...great production..well rounded.
2) Ween "Chocolate and Cheese"...one of my faves that has such a diverse writting style.
3) Beatles "Revolver"...need I say more.
That's funny. "Skylarking" and "Revolver" pretty much go with me everywhere. I think any 70s Joni Mitchell is pretty great for road trips, also.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:12 pm

i actually had to make this choice when we went to Malaysia for a month last year.

my picks were:

ELO - Time (i refuse to defend this, but i am glad i brought it to listen to!)

The Sundays - Blind (great for tranking out and/or relaxing while wondering when the weeks and weeks of Hari Raya fireworks might finally end)

Neil Finn - Try Whistling This (just a great album, both in terms of songwriting/performances and "production")

all of these albums also share the trait of being fun on headphones.

i think my choices would be a little different today...and i'd take more than just three!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:18 pm

BlueMoonshine wrote:1. Gillian Welch - Soul Journey. I love this record more every time I hear it. No one is better at the acoustic slow groove than Gillian & David.
that one is damn good indeed

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:05 am

my list would make me drive off a cliff. It was early and I picked a desert island list, not a road trip mix.

these always seem to be with me on trips lately:

the oblivians - play nine songs with mr quintron
tribe called quest - People's Instinctive Travels..
smiths - the smiths

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:26 am

Depends on the trip...

Ill Gotten Gains by Tanner

Yank Crime by Drive Like Jehu

Red Medicine by Fugazi

or

Riot For Romance by No Knife

Harmacy by Sebadoh

End Hits by Fugazi
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:49 am

The Weakerthans - Left and Leaving
Appleseed Cast - Two Conversations
Centro-matic - All The Falsest Hearts Can Try
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks