telefunken V620a germanium modules

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

arkestra
alignin' 24-trk

telefunken V620a germanium modules

Post by arkestra » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:13 pm

anyone have any info or experience with these? Ive got a line on some but the aint cheap. any and all info on:

telefunken equipment from the late 60's/ germanium pres in general/ these exact modules

would be much appreciated. Thanks

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:39 pm

you should build a hamptone and run that germanium EH pedal at the same time on a duplicated track and blend them..might have the same effect for cheaper..

the pricing of audio gear is absolutely rediculous in many cases..

as always, Caveat Emptor..

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:52 pm

Yeah honestly, I was pretty surprised to see the Chandler Germanium come out and get all that praise. I know it is an awesome pre, but when I first saw the term "Germanium" I thought "Ugh," germanium solid state stuff sounds pretty lousy compared to the slightly later silicon ss gear, IMHO. This doesn't apply to the Chandler, as it turns out, because I think they are using germ. core transformers or something like that and keeping with silicon chips and transistors. (?)

So next thing you know, "Germanium" is getting tossed all around like it's the latest discovery by the buried treasure audio archaeologists.

So anyway, we have the Telefunken name getting tossed about to sell gear for crazy prices on the coat-tails of their amazing tube gear. And we have Germanium getting the same treatment.

Who knows, maybe those mic pre's are awesome, but remove the hype keywords - Telefunken and Germanium, and what are you left with? Some piece of gear that has never earned a rep. for sounding that great... I could be wrong though, it could be good, but for the price, I bet there is known good gear you could grab instead.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:41 pm

A-Barr wrote:Yeah honestly, I was pretty surprised to see the Chandler Germanium come out and get all that praise. I know it is an awesome pre, but when I first saw the term "Germanium" I thought "Ugh," germanium solid state stuff sounds pretty lousy compared to the slightly later silicon ss gear, IMHO. This doesn't apply to the Chandler, as it turns out, because I think they are using germ. core transformers or something like that and keeping with silicon chips and transistors. (?)

So next thing you know, "Germanium" is getting tossed all around like it's the latest discovery by the buried treasure audio archaeologists.

So anyway, we have the Telefunken name getting tossed about to sell gear for crazy prices on the coat-tails of their amazing tube gear. And we have Germanium getting the same treatment.

Who knows, maybe those mic pre's are awesome, but remove the hype keywords - Telefunken and Germanium, and what are you left with? Some piece of gear that has never earned a rep. for sounding that great... I could be wrong though, it could be good, but for the price, I bet there is known good gear you could grab instead.
The germ transistors have a certain sound, and with development in the design aspects of their implementation, they have seen a certain renaissance...
I hear you on the "lates discovery" thing, but a transistor that uses 40 volt rails with crazy inefficient, yet colorful, amplification characteristics is fun, at least in the case of the germ by Chandler.

That certainly does not mean that anything with a germanium transistor in it should now be considered "automatically awesome"... as you so perfectly put it above, a lot of these pieces have been forsaken because they were noisy, not so great sounding, and not reliable.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: telefunken V620a germanium modules

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:46 pm

arkestra wrote:anyone have any info or experience with these? Ive got a line on some but the aint cheap. any and all info on:

telefunken equipment from the late 60's/ germanium pres in general/ these exact modules

would be much appreciated. Thanks
you should contact Oliver Archut at TAB-Funkenwerk. he'd be who i asked if i was in your boots.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com