travis- the boy with no name

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

KyleHale
gettin' sounds

travis- the boy with no name

Post by KyleHale » Wed May 02, 2007 11:19 am

Has anyone heard this new album yet? I don't think its out, but i have a copy. It is typical travis song writing, but its soooo good! He is one of my favorite song writers of all time... Any thoughts on the production? Some of the lead guitar tones are amazing... any idea what they may have done besides using a lot of delay?

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

i think one of the guitarists uses an orange ...

BlueMoonshine
gettin' sounds

My Eyes

Post by BlueMoonshine » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:26 pm

Just did a search to see if anyone had created a thread for this disc back when it was released -- I haven't heard the whole album yet, but independiente (Travis' label) just sent me a promo single to review for track 7, "My Eyes" and I've been spinning it on repeat all day. listen / download for yourself here: http://residentmediapundit.com/?p=227

The production isn't adventurous (surprise, it's Travis!), but it is, to my ears, quite pleasing -- from the opening synth to the jangly guitars and piano that drive it along. Nice subtle touches in the mix, letting each instrument have its moment while not overshadowing the lovely songwriting...

What a great song to write for your newborn child.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:05 pm

I don't know much about this record but I read that they worked with Mike Hedges again for some stuff. Talented guy!
Let me mix your music!
http://www.sfrecording.com

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:36 pm

Check out this month's pro sound news...there's a nice feature in there (Music, Etc.)