Monitors for around $300

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Monitors for around $300

Post by Snarky » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:01 pm

Hey dudes,

Long time no talkie. Well my studio partner moved away, taking his lovely 10" active sub and tannoy PBM6ii's with him. I have already replaced the sub. I like to use two nearfields, ns-10's right in my face so I can see how bad everything around 1k is, and a pair further away (the tannoys were more "pleasently scooped") to turn up a little louder to fill the room for mostly clients sake. I am looking for something comparable to the tannoys in the same price range, since they are further away and less important to me, I was looking into maybe the active wharfedale 8.1's or the passive tannoy reveals. I would love some JBL 4431's or some JBL 4412's but they are both a wee bit out of my price range. I should prolly stop being lazy and go down to the store but everything sounds weird there and you are always limited to what the store carries. So-

Anyone have an opinion on the active Wharfedale 8.1's or the passive tannoy reveals?? The less I spend the better, but y'know, I want something that won' sound like a screaming cat past 75 db. And I am already used to the painful pleasure of ns-10's.
Thanks
I love tape op
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:52 am

I have been happy with my Tascam VL-X5s but they have been discontinued. I got mine for $250 new in the box.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:37 pm

japmn wrote:I have been happy with my Tascam VL-X5s but they have been discontinued. I got mine for $250 new in the box.
+1. I love mine.

hopeless_opus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hopeless_opus » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:33 pm

I've been really pleased with the KRK RP-5's I have at home. They generally run $300 a pair new.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:39 pm

I have KRK V4's that sound great and are now just about $300 for a pair. I A/B'd them against everything that GC has in the store and they beat anything that wasn't $1000.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:45 pm

Just got to say I'd be really sad if someone took my PBM 6.5 II's...

Also, I ain' use no steenkin' sub! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.