AKG D12 help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:48 pm

here's your answer:

http://www.vintageloop.com/akg%20D12,D12E.html

"The key difference between the D12 and D12E models is that the D12E incorporates the output XLR connector in its housing pillar and requires an auxillary stand clamp.

The D12 uses its housing pillar to thread the mic to a stand and XLR output connection is maintained via a pigtail through the rear housing screen. Both mics provide the same sonic performance."
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:51 pm

thanks!

doesn't seem like there is any difference in the electronics and therefore sound tho....
the new rules : there are no rules

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:08 am

The "e" denotes "extended response" meaning it will have a "bit" of a click when used on kick drums if the drummer hits it hard enough. The D12 doesn't unless the drummer is slamming it. We used to have to put a 57 in there with it and it worked out fine if the drum was tuned enough.
We had to roll off huge amounts at 125hz and below 63hz to use it then use the top off the 57.
These days some people use a D112 with an SM91. To Each his own, but, I don't see any purpose in that when you can get all you need from a D112.
Harumph!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:15 am

Actually I think the "e" standt for "Export" and donates a mic with an XLR connector.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:15 pm

Brian wrote:The "e" denotes "extended response" meaning it will have a "bit" of a click when used on kick drums if the drummer hits it hard enough. The D12 doesn't unless the drummer is slamming it.
I think that's called distortion.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:04 pm

cgarges wrote:
Brian wrote:The "e" denotes "extended response" meaning it will have a "bit" of a click when used on kick drums if the drummer hits it hard enough. The D12 doesn't unless the drummer is slamming it.
I think that's called distortion.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Not that kind of a click, the slap of the beater hitting the head. Those things have so little output up there that it would be hard to overload one and the low output is so high that you usually had to pad significantly and roll off lows. Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I would push a preamp a little too hard with one, on purpose! Mwa ah ah ah ah .
Harumph!

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:55 pm

So.....To revive an old thread on the tone of these mics....
I just got one off of evilbay and I too find it a bit lacking in the low end. Mine was sold as "broken" but sounds OK, just not so low-endy. Is a dissapearing low end common with these (D12)?? The mic does not rattle and sounds great with a lot of eq (also sounds great on vox right up on the mic).

It was sold as broken so I only paid 60 bucks but I'm wondering if there is actually anything wrong with the mic.

Hmmmmmm......
Good Luck At Any Cost

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:42 pm

Don't have an mp3 handy, but my D12 sounds dark and thumpy ..thats how they are.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:39 pm

I think I'll record a sample and post it tommorow. maybe someone can listen and tell me what's up. This mic sounds good but not dark and thumpy...

Thanks
amos
Good Luck At Any Cost

gradwellhouse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gradwellhouse » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:23 am

I have a D12 and D12e and they do sound different to me but not wildly. My D12 definately rattled as it got older and i opened it up and sure enough the element housing was all tore up. There is some rubber foamy stuff that connects it all together and it was all dried out. Because of that i bought a D12e and have been extremely into its sound.
Almost every song on my website's sample page has D12e on the kick by itself through a neotek series 1 preamp.
http://gradwellhouse.com

I will however say that i have not had success using it on bass cabs. The mic gets kinda gritty and definately isnt flattering. Its sounds kinda like when you have a clean guitar amp clipping the preamp a little, just a little dirt but enough to not like it.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:40 am

Yeah, they really only work on kick drums. Even the d112 doesn't sound that good on anything else and it sounds nothing like the D12e. I wish I had a D12e, I prefer it to the D112.
Harumph!

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:12 pm

Here's one I feel is a good example:

http://www.thesecretsystemband.com/musi ... morrow.mp3

Everything that is "real" drums here is the D12:
http://www.thesecretsystemband.com/music/
- Brad

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:26 pm

i got to use a D30 this summer on a project and it KILLED on the outside kick. it revived my interest in my D12 and took it to my tech recently. it was never really putting out that low end thump and was quite thin. the tech found that the transformer had been monkeyed with and some circuitry had been bypassed due to a broken connection inside the inner chamber on the mic. he figured it had maybe been dropped or something at some point and broke and so someone had bypassed this part to make it work again. only it sounded thin and not at all like i had hoped.

so BEWARE of ebay dudes. there is one guy who sells a lot of these mics on ebay and who knows if he just gets em broken and makes em pass signal and then sells em off as vintage etc... mine claimed to be "funtioning perfectly" but it had obviously been tampered with - whether the seller knew it or not - he advertised it falsely.

$200 later - i am looking forward to trying mine out soon.

so to clarify THESE MICS SHOULD PUT OUT LOW END AND THUMP - if they sound thin - they are not working properly and should get checked out. good luck!
the new rules : there are no rules

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:25 am

D12 thump only and way too much, if you have to roll off a LOT of low end its working and lowering your low end noise floor.
The d112 works on some bass cabinets.
Harumph!

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:09 pm

drumsound wrote:The three songs with drum-set on Backyard Tire Fire's Myspace page have a D12e on bass drum inside.

On The Artist Formally Known As Vince's Myspace page most of the right side guitars were done with the same D12e or an SM7(the left side mic). The BD may be the d12e on that one too, I forget.

I know its myspace but those are some easy access stuff for you to hear...
Tony - you gotta update your photos (on the website) to include the D12! By the way, nice site, man.
- Brad